Why use a mesh bag [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Why use a mesh bag

Sponsored Link
Ken abucs
July 25th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I see many people use mesh bags to haul their gear. Why? I prefer a water proof duffle to better protect and conceal my gear.

The reason I don't like mesh bags:

Salt dries on the gear, so it's harder to rinse
my trunk get's wet and stinky
can't adaquately rinse gear while still in the bag
It's obvious the bag contains expensive dive gear (theft target)

Divin'Hoosier
July 25th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Here are my reasons:

1. I don't dive often in salt water and I actually want the gear to begin to dry
2. I don't use it to protect my gear but to carry it from my car/house to the dive site. I have other containers (rubbermaid) that I use to actually haul/protect/store my gear.
3. The gear begins to really stink if it's in a closed up bag that doesn't allow air to circulate
4. They're light and therefore don't add much extra weight to that of the gear they're holding.
5. They come in pretty large sizes that carry alot of gear for a reasonable price and not much extra weight.
4. My most important reason ... they're less expensive.

Theft isn't an issue because I don't leave it anywhere someone could see it or get to it. It's either in my house, in my trunk, in a closed container in my truck bed or in my hotel room.

Oh, I use the Stahlsac Cortez. It's quite large (33x15.5x15.5), very well built and does a great job of keeping my wetsuit, gloves, hoods, boots, fins, wing, and x-shorts (pockets pre-loaded with my gear) organized. I use it along with my regulator bag (Akona) with my backplate/harness slung on my shoulder and I can carry all my main gear in one trip (except for tanks).

Sideband
July 25th, 2006, 09:15 AM
I see many people use mesh bags to haul their gear. Why? I prefer a water proof duffle to better protect and conceal my gear.

The reason I don't like mesh bags:
can't adaquately rinse gear while still in the bag

The mesh bag is perfect for rinsing gear. After the dive, while still on the boat, remove all of your gear and place it in the bag. Pack it up like you had it when you arrived. After the boat gets back take the mesh bag by the handle and dunk it in the rinse barrel several times. The mesh allows the rinse water to get in to all of the gear easily. When you are done, lift the bag and let it drain. It doesn't get much easier than that.

Joe

ItsBruce
July 25th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I travel with a solid bag, but take a mesh bag to the dive site. It lets my gear start to drain and keeps my travel bag drier. I generally do a basic wash of my gear right after the dive, but I like Ken's though about keeping gear damp so salt does not crystalize.

NadMat
July 25th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I actually use both, the mesh bag for going out to dive and back, the large waterproof for storage and travel. As others have noted, the mesh back allows you to throw whole thing in rinse water and remove without having to sort out your equipment from others, and then allows rinsed equipment to dry quickly. The big duffel is just for storage and/or travel. Also, the big duffel is a large nonscuba duffel so as not to attract those desirous of obtaining their own gear without having to purchase.

Mo2vation
July 25th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Mesh bags blow.

Had one for about 90 minutes after OW, like most students. A real nice one - a Stahlsac backpack. A mesh backpack... what a goober. Part of my "required purchase" set up of mask, fins, snork and bag.

After I started diving more than once a month I realized the thing was worthless for SoCal diving and it hit eBay. Maybe if you dive a skin and are a size 0. But a real sized person, 7mm, booties, gloves, hood, find, mask, snork (<- another thing that hit eBay 5 minutes after OW) regs, etc? No way.

I got a real bag. Now I can actually carry all my gear, I'm using these nifty things called wheels and my back is dry.

Mesh bags... OY. Cash traps for rookies. :rolleyes:

---
Ken

ItsBruce
July 25th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Mesh bags blow.
---
Ken

Would that be the opposite of them sucking?

Mo2vation
July 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Would that be the opposite of them sucking?

Well, at the very least, they're quite breezy.

---
Ken

Hank49
July 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Mesh bags... OY. Cash traps for rookies. :rolleyes:

---
Ken

I'd love to hear that said, while sitting on a boat next to my 82 year old ex father in law, pulling his gear out of his mesh bag, who has more dives in more parts of the world than any of the 3 most experienced divers on SB put together. Including the rolleyes. :shakehead

Damselfish
July 25th, 2006, 03:47 PM
mesh bags have their place, like most things. If they don't make sense for your diving, don't use one. Easy.

Mo2vation
July 25th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I'd love to hear that said, while sitting on a boat next to my 82 year old ex father in law, pulling his gear out of his mesh bag, who has more dives in more parts of the world than any of the 3 most experienced divers on SB put together. Including the rolleyes. :shakehead

Nobody I dive with, NOBODY I see diving regularly in SoCal rolls in to a divesite in a mesh bag.

Yet shop after shop is compelling SoCal students to buy a bag when they get their required OW kit of Mask, Fins and Snorkel. All I'm saying is why not steer the newbie (soon to be diver) to something that is more useful than carrying groceries or beach towel and flipflops?

They're total cash traps. Many of us bought them, few of us use them.

Like the $99 5 window high volume clear skirted purge mask with Qstrap and the $69 Sahara super mega ultra dry purge snorkel and the $125 split fins bought for OW, eventually most people outgrow this first set of nonsense and move onto gear that is more durable, practical and a little more geographically relevant.

Meshbags for Scuba have near zero relevance for a SoCal diver diving in SoCal.

---
Ken

mrjimboalaska
July 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I can get all my gear (BP/W, Mask, fins, booties, 3MM wetsuit, gloves, regs,) in my
Akona mesh bag. Carry my weight belt on the shoulder. I don't see it being very hard to do, since most of my dive buddies do the same..............
Must be a SOCAL thing.............

awap
July 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
--
Ken

But it keeps the price fairly low on ebay for us WWWs.:eyebrow:

Hank49
July 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Nobody I dive with, NOBODY I see diving regularly in SoCal rolls in to a divesite in a mesh bag.

Yet shop after shop is compelling SoCal students to buy a bag when they get their required OW kit of Mask, Fins and Snorkel. All I'm saying is why not steer the newbie (soon to be diver) to something that is more useful than carrying groceries or beach towel and flipflops?

They're total cash traps. Many of us bought them, few of us use them.

Like the $99 5 window high volume clear skirted purge mask with Qstrap and the $69 Sahara super mega ultra dry purge snorkel and the $125 split fins bought for OW, eventually most people outgrow this first set of nonsense and move onto gear that is more durable, practical and a little more geographically relevant.

---
Ken

Well, I have to admit....I don't think he did much diving in So Cal..although he was born and raised there....but if he did, he'd probably bring his mesh bag.
but seriously, you mention wheels as the big breakthrough....on most (of the few) shore dives I've done....wheels are useless on the pitted, rocky shore. Your gear is heavy enough so why not use the lightest bag possibe? And one that can easily be stowed under a boat seat and out of the way? Is this like the tomato juice thing or something? :D

pickens_46929
July 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Mesh bags take up less room on the boat... have separate bag for transporting / travel... often use Rubbermaid tubs too when appropriate...

Mo2vation
July 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Well, I have to admit....I don't think he did much diving in So Cal..although he was born and raised there....but if he did, he'd probably bring his mesh bag.
but seriously, you mention wheels as the big breakthrough....on most (of the few) shore dives I've done....wheels are useless on the pitted, rocky shore. Your gear is heavy enough so why not use the lightest bag possibe? And one that can easily be stowed under a boat seat and out of the way? Is this like the tomato juice thing or something? :D

Yeah - wheels on a shore dive don't help much. Unless they're maybe those big balloon wheels like on the beach wheelchairs or something....

Shore diving for us is a drive up, park the rig, gear up off the tailgate and walk down to the shore deal. No need for schlepping gear you're not wearing.

I bet diving in SoCal was quite different in his day. Yellowfin off Redondo Pier, 12# lobster off SM shore and the like. Must have some amazing stories.

---
Ken

Hank49
July 25th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I bet diving in SoCal was quite different in his day. Yellowfin off Redondo Pier, 12# lobster off SM shore and the like. Must have some amazing stories.

---
Ken

Aye, he can tell stories...I drove him from Singapore to Kuantan, Malaysia (5 hours) and they were non stop...and after sleeping at my condo, it continued for another 5 hours the next day on the drive up to Redang to dive. I actually have one his old mesh bags with his initials sewn into it. If I outlive him, I may sell it on E-Bay someday..:D

joeabroad
July 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Mesh bags blow.

Cash traps for rookies. :rolleyes:

Oh, no, Iíve been happily using a mesh bag for three years to haul my heavy cold water gear, without even realizing that it BLOWS.

Now that Iíve seen the light, maybe you can recommend a good sturdy wheeled bagóit just needs to be the kind that pulls easily through sand and over large boulders and stows easily on small, crowded boats.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1