Advice for New Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amadeus023

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am a new diver and I will be completing my open water dives this weekend. I plan on also getting my AOW certification next month. I plan on going on a trip in November and want my own gear for the trip because I am tired of having different equipment each time. I want a system that will not limit me and that will support me as I become more experienced.

I am in the process of purchasing the majority of my gear (through scubatoys.com) and just want to know if I have made good selections for my system:

- Zeagle Zena BCD (loose at the shoulders)
- Oceanic Zeta CDX5 Regulator
- Mares/Dacor Brigade Viper Octo
- Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II air/nitrox computer

I also am trying to decide between two wetsuits:

- Henderson 3 mm hyperstretch w/ core warmer
- O'Neill 6/3 mm 3000x jumpsuit (new)

I purchased the Henderson, however, I don't like feeling like it is too short in the arms and legs. It was not offered in a tall size. I have not received the O'Neill suit yet so if anyone has any comments let me know.

I also am interested in the following bags for my gear:

- Oceanic Voyager 3 Dive Bag
- Xs Scuba Wheeled Mesh Backpack or Wheeled Mesh Duffle

What other things (i.e clips, weights, etc.,.) do you recommend.

Thank you!

If the Zena is loose at the shoulders, have the guys at ScubaToys swap out that piece for a smaller one. One of the unique things about Zeagle BCs is that they are modular in design and you can swap out every piece for a difference size, including the bladder.

If you go air integrated for a computer, make sure you have a quick disconnect feature. It's worth the extra money to be able to keep your computer separate from your regs. I prefer the compactness of my Aeris AI to the Pro+2, but they are essentially the same computer so it's all good. :wink:

As far as wetsuits....get one that fits regardless of branding. It stinks that Henderson only makes "long" suits in men's. You also might try having a wetsuit custom made. Liquidfit does a great job and not only has a large variety of colors, but they also have super-stretchy material if you want that.

You might want to pick up an inexpensive knife to add to your collection, and a retractable clip for your computer. You'll also want to buy a dive light one of these days to peek into all the nooks and crannies and for when you start night diving.

Welcome to the expensive world that is diving!! :D

Amadeus023:
Hi,

I am a new diver and I will be completing my open water dives this weekend. I plan on also getting my AOW certification next month. I plan on going on a trip in November and want my own gear for the trip because I am tired of having different equipment each time. I want a system that will not limit me and that will support me as I become more experienced.

I am in the process of purchasing the majority of my gear (through scubatoys.com) and just want to know if I have made good selections for my system:

- Zeagle Zena BCD (loose at the shoulders)
- Oceanic Zeta CDX5 Regulator
- Mares/Dacor Brigade Viper Octo
- Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus II air/nitrox computer

I also am trying to decide between two wetsuits:

- Henderson 3 mm hyperstretch w/ core warmer
- O'Neill 6/3 mm 3000x jumpsuit (new)

I purchased the Henderson, however, I don't like feeling like it is too short in the arms and legs. It was not offered in a tall size. I have not received the O'Neill suit yet so if anyone has any comments let me know.

I also am interested in the following bags for my gear:

- Oceanic Voyager 3 Dive Bag
- Xs Scuba Wheeled Mesh Backpack or Wheeled Mesh Duffle

What other things (i.e clips, weights, etc.,.) do you recommend.

Thank you!
Thank you for your comments. This is an expensive hobby. My boyfriend is so thrilled that I have finally been bitten by the bug. He has worked on me for two years and here I am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom