Any reason not to get an Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After trying out my new SS1 a bit and digging it, I am thinking of going to a full Atomic reg setup. I've got the Oceanic Delta3 Titanium setup now. Yes, this is just a gearhead impulse purchase not aimed to fulfill a specific diving need. Is there any reason to steer clear of the B2? Is it worth the upgrade from the Z2?

The B2's second stage is identical to the T2 second stage, meaning it has a titanium piston and a comfort swivel (stainless on the B2). The Z2 has a Palladium/Zirconium plated brass piston in its second stage and it lacks a comfort swivel. The T2, B2, M1, and Z2 are mechanically identical, so performance wise they should be the same, which is of course bloody fantastic. The only practical advantage the T2 has over the B2 is the fact it weighs less due to the titanium first stage. Unless you can easily afford the über-elite T2 reg, the B2 is probably the wiser choice. I'm sure you'll consider it the finest regulator you've ever used.

Sadamune

I was wondering about that too, how is that reg in cold water? anyone have any experience?

It depends on how cold is "cold". I dive with my Atomic T1 in the Pacific Northwest, where the water is typically 48 to 52 degrees F., and it functions perfectly. The T1 did not ship initially with a sealed first stage, but can be retrofitted for $50 dollars or so by an Atomic certified LDS. The T2 and M1 both have their 1st stages environmentally sealed, and the B2, Z2, and any previous model Atomic reg can have the seal kit installed if you want it. I was told by my LDS that the cold water seal kit consists of a new plastic collar piece for the 1st stage and a bunch of silicone grease, which is squirted into the 1st stage chamber. That's it. It's useful for ice diving or for diving in cesspools, mud puddles, and vats of Campell's Soup. Unless a person is diving really cold water or is diving in nasty, chunky water, the unsealed first stage will do fine. Just remember to rinse it out after your dive and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers,

Sadamune

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom