Why no shops in Hilton Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I give....I'm here in Hilton Head, which is a 12x5 mile island surrounded by water. Warm water, lots of rich tourists, lots of boats, plenty of places to shop, golf, play tennis, fish, bike ride, etc....but NO DIVE SHOP. I know from previous posts that the last dive shop closed their doors in 2001, but my question is WHY?

Is it there are no good sites here? Not enough divers to support a shop? No boats willing to take the divers? Bad weather cancel too many dives? You gotta wonder if this is the place to open a shop, since there is no competition at all.

The ONLY reason I travel is to dive. I went to the OBX and dove with OBX dive in Nags Head. Charleston Scuba in Charleston is also on my list. Why can't I dive in Hilton Head????

The dive shop operator closed because he was too busy and got sick of working. He cleans boat bottoms now.

The sights offshore are pretty cool actually, we are running out this Saturday or Sunday. The only problem is we get our air fills in Savannah which can be annoying.
www.deepsouthdivers.org has info on our local sights.

You can dive with us! PM if you are interested.

My diving buddy SeaJay and I have been really considering the idea of opening a dive shop on Hilton Head. We have the resources, talent, and business backgrounds to get the job done as my family has been in business for twelve years on the island.

I do however have some major concerns about the interest in diving on the island. I have been asking people from this board to come out with us since June(for the price of splitting gas equally), and I have not even had the least bit in interest.

Two weeks ago, my friend from back in highschool drove down from Myrtle Beach to go out with us, and he absolutely loved it.

We are going out this weekend again, but it looks like it will be just us again.

No one can afford the rent.

marusso:
My diving buddy SeaJay and I have been really considering the idea of opening a dive shop on Hilton Head. We have the resources, talent, and business backgrounds to get the job done as my family has been in business for twelve years on the island.

I do however have some major concerns about the interest in diving on the island. I have been asking people from this board to come out with us since June(for the price of splitting gas equally), and I have not even had the least bit in interest.

Two weeks ago, my friend from back in highschool drove down from Myrtle Beach to go out with us, and he absolutely loved it.

We are going out this weekend again, but it looks like it will be just us again.

If I were closer I would take you up on that, I have never been to Hilton Head. I have also been wanting to get out to Gray's Reef too. It is not so much the distance as it is doable, it is the lodging once I get there that is the killer. Traveling solo gets pretty expensive.

Tom Smedley:
No one can afford the rent.

There are plenty of good locations where even just an average producing dive shop would succeed.

marusso:

If you ever want to talk let me know. I'm pretty familar with running a dive shop in resort areas.

Best,

Chris

LindaBluedolphin:
If I were closer I would take you up on that, I have never been to Hilton Head. I have also been wanting to get out to Gray's Reef too. It is not so much the distance as it is doable, it is the lodging once I get there that is the killer. Traveling solo gets pretty expensive.

That's cool. Just so you know, after labor day, the hotel rates go down dramatically. You could easily find something for about $50 a night or less. I recommend September, the weather is a few degrees cooler and there are hardly any tourists. Ocean temps are still solid in the mid 80's. Last week at 110' the water temp was 82 degrees.

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom