Most reliable small compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
Living in the middle of nowhere had it's pluses and minuses. I now have to travel 14 miles by boat,...out of the way...to rent tanks. Anyone have experiences, good or bad, with small compressors to share? I'm looking at Bauers, Coltrisub...I used a Coltri in the Philippines with a gas motor but I'd like an electric now. Any input is greatly appreciated. Hank

Both Bauer and Coltrusub are very fine personal machines. I have sold both with great results. The key to keeping them lasting a long time is keeping them clean and cool.

The Bauer JRII is kind of a neat little package in that they make a kit available for shifting from gas to electric. very cool! But, like you said, teh electric is $3500 and the gas is $4000!

I am a big fan of the Coltri machines and sell them 20 to 1 over the Bauer machines. That little electric is compact, runs on household power (requires a 30 amp breaker) and puts out a little more air than the JRII. Plus, it is only $2750!

Hank, the Junior is a reliable machine. Designed to be an "international" compressor, the Junior is modular allowing common procedures like 2nd and 3rd stg valve removal to be accomplished with hand tools. The second and third stage valves are subject to corrosion after five years. They will make a clicking sound and then the second stg relief valve will blow. This is a sign that the valves are stuck. I found a way to forestall this but Bauer may not like it. After the last tank is filled, open the petcock on the interstage for 5 seconds, then close. Open the petcocks on the final filter and let the compressor run under no load. The operator will likely notice a clicking sound which is the third stage plunger banging against the push rod. I have never seen any damage caused by this but IMO, the Junior should only be allowed to run this way for 10-15 seconds, just long enough to blow water out of the third stage. If this is followed, the valves will last 15 years.

Use a quality synthetic oil of 30W viscosity (ISO 100). Bauer recommends an extremely heavy, ISO 150 oil for some of their machines but I'm skeptical that this would be suitable in the Junior. Although the oil in the sump may look clean on the stick, even after 50 hours, a complete draining will show something different. Change the oil a bit more frequently than the book says. Remember, you are in a hot place.

The Junior is a slow turning machine, faster than the Alkin but still pretty slow, with modest output and doesn't generate a lot of heat. However, as a rule, never operate the unit in direct sunshine when temps are above 85F. Too much heat hinders the filtration system and there is a slight possibility that the oil will run hot and throw off some noxious vapors.

Personally, with a rebuilt machine, I would run the unit for a few hours and then do a blowby test.

I am very happy with my Bauer bought new in 1979 still running strong. Like your self I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. Hard to get fills.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

CARHILL:
I am very happy with my Bauer bought new in 1979 still running strong. Like your self I live on a small island in the middle of the Pacific. Hard to get fills.

Dale
Still on a little rock in the Pacific

If mine lasts as long as yours, it may outlive me. :D Well, my kids are all divers so....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom