Oceanic Excursion vs. Outrigger HLT Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CrackedConch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at purchasing a new back-inflate BC. I'm considering the Oceanic Excursion and Oceanic Outrigger HLT. I've also looked at the Scubapro Knighthawk.

The Excursion and the Knighthawk seem very similar and you can tell they are in direct competition with one another. Two points that give the Excursion a leg up are the built in knife and retractor attachments and the fact that it is made of 1600 denier nylon and the Knighthawk is made of 1000 denier nylon, so it would stand to reason the Excursion would be more durable.

So let's assume I'm not considering the Knighthawk now... I don't like the roll out pocket on the Excursion. I tried it in the store and with a mask on, it is hard to deploy and use the pocket. even without gloves on.

I like the overall design of, pockets and velour padding on the Outrigger, but I basically think the HLT front bladder is a gimmick and is in the way. There are two extra steps involved to fold and attach it to the cumberbund and get ready for the dive. I'm therefore wondering if the HLT bladder can be removed and the Outrigger be used as a normal back-inflate BC?

This 'feature' is what drives the price up almost $100 over the Excursion and it is a shame to just toss it aside, but it is really just a cumbersome sales gimmick in the way on an otherwise excellently designed BCD.

If the Excursion had pockets and velour padding like the Outrigger it would be perfect. Likewise, if the Outrigger had the D-rings and no HLT bladder of the Excursion, it would be perfect.

Ever since they did away with the pockets when they went to the chute3 from the chute2 has it grated on some peoples nerves. Recreational bc's IMO need pockets. Especially of you are going for DM or instructor and need to carry alot of stuff. The drop down ones like you described and on the chute3 are the reason I went with a probe initially. I will continue to use it for ow classes even though I'm going BPW for my pleasure/fun/tech dives. Even the new probe eliminated two small pockets that were great for carrying no-fog, a small rolled goodie bag, or other small stuff that I did not like to fish for in the big pockets. I don't know off hand if you can remove the outrigger bladder since I've seen the outrigger only twice and we have not had anyone ask for one. Sold quite a few probes though. I believe the outrigger was designed in response to the complaints from people who said the back inflates pushed em face first into the water. After diving my instructors chute2 and now my DSS rig I'm convinced that it is not necessary. If one is being pushed face first into the water you got too much air in the wing and you probably need to work on your trim as well as buoyancy skills in general.

CrackedConch:
I like the overall design of, pockets and velour padding on the Outrigger, but I basically think the HLT front bladder is a gimmick and is in the way. There are two extra steps involved to fold and attach it to the cumberbund and get ready for the dive. I'm therefore wondering if the HLT bladder can be removed and the Outrigger be used as a normal back-inflate BC?

This 'feature' is what drives the price up almost $100 over the Excursion and it is a shame to just toss it aside, but it is really just a cumbersome sales gimmick in the way on an otherwise excellently designed BCD.

QUOTE]

We have available at no charge a spare cummerbelt without the HLT and a cap dfor the supply hose to the HLT so you can easily convert to a non HLT Outrigger.

PM me if I can help in any way.

JimLap:
Ever since they did away with the pockets when they went to the chute3 from the chute2 has it grated on some peoples nerves. Recreational bc's IMO need pockets. Especially of you are going for DM or instructor and need to carry alot of stuff. The drop down ones like you described and on the chute3 are the reason I went with a probe initially. I will continue to use it for ow classes even though I'm going BPW for my pleasure/fun/tech dives. Even the new probe eliminated two small pockets that were great for carrying no-fog, a small rolled goodie bag, or other small stuff that I did not like to fish for in the big pockets. I don't know off hand if you can remove the outrigger bladder since I've seen the outrigger only twice and we have not had anyone ask for one. Sold quite a few probes though. I believe the outrigger was designed in response to the complaints from people who said the back inflates pushed em face first into the water. After diving my instructors chute2 and now my DSS rig I'm convinced that it is not necessary. If one is being pushed face first into the water you got too much air in the wing and you probably need to work on your trim as well as buoyancy skills in general.

Drop by the booth at DEMA and ask for me (You rep knows me well :D ), I think we will have some stuff to show you that may grab your attention.

I personally would pick a chute 3 over a 2 but have also heard the same comments you made. But the Chute is gone and the Excursion is not designed for the same market at all.

Best,

Chris

So I hear. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it to DEMA. No vacation time left and was told my fiance could not get on the floor because she is not a shop employee. She is in a wheelchair with muscular dystrophy and there is no way I could go to Fla without her and she could not be left alone in a hotel room. So until they allow spouses, SO's, (especially in instances like mine) etc. I have no desire to even attend. I guess I'll just have to wait to see this new stuff. Still waiting for word on request to be product tester and the viper fins. Along with the new reg. BTW have seen the chute three. As a DM candidate with a need to carry lots of stuff I was not impressed or convinced it was an improvement over the 2.

Thanks for the responses guys. After PMing cerich a couple of times, I'm leaning toward the Outrigger--when I get it, I'll try the HLT system before I pass judgement completely. I've dived other back-inflate BC's and never had a significant issue with being pushed forward. I'm therefore thinking I'll end up not needing the HLT bladder in the front and will convert it to a non-HLT Outrigger.

Back
Top Bottom