Wreck Construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voidware

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is not really "technical" per se, but it does have to do with wreck diving. I was thinking that it would be kind of fun to build a "shipwreck" out of something like PVC and some kind of plastic-type mesh (cuttable so that in the event of an emergency direct ascent is available) for use in a pool. It could also be modular. It would be excellent for training or just to play around with, and a great project to keep me occupied during the winter diving months. Does anyone know of a wreck like this, or have any interesting suggestions?

brandon

PVC "soakwells". 4-6 foot diameter pipes, 3 foot long.
Im not sure if you have them here or not.
But if you throw a few in the pool, and link them up with zip ties, they would make great overhead training models.

In the event of an emegency, you can "break out" by busting the ties.

Disclaimer.
Ive never done this, it was just a thought.

of doing something similar but the plan was to put it in an OW location instead of in a pool. It would be fun, IMHO, just building the thing UW.

The South Carolina folks (SCIAA) have a fake ship, as does ECU I believe. They are simulated timbers that they put together in the pool to help with field schools and running u/w surveys. Great tools. Contact Lynn Harris at SCIAA (do a web search) for more info.
Cheers,
Mike

voidware once bubbled...
Does anyone know of a wreck like this, or have any interesting suggestions?

I think there's something like that at the quarry near Thomasville. It has a lot of escape holes.

At blue stone they have an artificial cave. It's just a metal tube about 100ft long with holes every 25ft or so. It's not really that interesting. Besides, sometimes it's below the thermocline.

a little thermocline. I wish we had what you have. Instead we have two pipes that are about 10 feet long and six feet apart to swim through. Oh well its still diving:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom