Regs or Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I couldn't find what I wanted with the search feature... SO probably in the next 6 months or so, I will be making the next big purchase...and the question is Regs or Computer(I have Dry suit and BP/W)? While a good reg will make my diving more efficient and more enjoyable, I enjoy the safety aspect offered with a computer, especially if I am making multiple dives. My computer would need to be EANx compatible, but I don't really foresee myself going tech in the near future, I need to focus on school.... SO, what would people recommend?

Regs should be first, you can use tables until you can afford a computer.

Get the regulator first for sure.

Buy good regs. All you need is a good bottom timer, they are much cheaper. If you rely on a computer while diving and have a failure you are SOL. Take the time to learn calculating NDL on the fly. Its not that hard and it will make you a more engaged diver

I'm sorry, but i would have to say a computer, you can dive safer and longer. To me being able to do that is more important than having my own regulator, computers are less of a luxry item and more of a necessity these days.

I would buy a set a good quality regulators first. You can always rent a computer from your LDS these days if you want to use one as many LDS's offer computer rentals. I think its safer having your own regs than trusting rental regs especially if your out at a remote diving location. You should have been trained to use dive tables and I see no increased danger in using the more conservative tables over using the much less conservative dive computer. Many increase their risk of DCS by not diving conservatively whether they dive tables or use a computer and sometimes make a mistake by over trusting the less conservative dive computer and diving to its limits.

Regs. No question. I want my own breathing apparatus. I can use tables, be conservative and be every bit as safe as any computer out there. Plus, I know that by using and being comfortable with tables, I will always have a backup, not if, but WHEN the computer fails.

Becoming dependant on dive computers is, in my opinion, dangerous and foolish.

Yes, I dive with a computer and have for years. But I plan with my tables and keep the plan and tables in my BC pocket. Murphy is alive and well.

Computers will discourage you from learning as much as you can about using tables, and dive planning. Get a good set of regs and use tables for your 1st few months. The lessons learned will serve you well.

Arcaporale:
I'm sorry, but i would have to say a computer, you can dive safer and longer. To me being able to do that is more important than having my own regulator, computers are less of a luxry item and more of a necessity these days.

I understand longer, if that is important; but why would a computer be safer than tables?

Arcaporale:

Yes a rental regulator and and brand new computer would be my choice....no way!

Use the tables and breath through your own reg and get the computer later...I dived for 20 years with no computer and it made me a better diver now that I have one for the past 5 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom