My Oceanic VT PRO locked up and I have a trip tomorrow!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, so I am getting ready for my trip tomorrow and setting my alarms. I go through the logs just to look at old dive and the thing gets stuck! Now it will not respond to anything I do. The backlight is stuck on as well. I have a trip to the flower gardens tomorrow, so I need to fix this asap.

I have looked at the instructions and it has nothing to resolve this. Oceanic is closed. The instructions for changing the battery are completely useless.

So, I am guess pulling the battery is the best fix right now, but how do you get the cover off? I was able to turn it with a screwdriver, but it will not lift up.

Please help!!

you should have gotten a silver tool in your box like a little 2 pronged spanner. place it in the holes and spin it in the direction indicated. Remeber when you replace it to make sure the oring is clean and in the proper place or it will flood.

Nope, mine did not come with one. I was able to turn it until I felt a little click by using a screwdriver.

OK, pulled the battery out and the computer is working again. Too bad it ate the battery. I guess that is why the save a dive kit needs to have extra batteries and orings.

I guess this is a good lesson. Have extra batteries, tables, timers, and if possible, a backup computer. Guess I should have sprung extra for that VT3...

Yeah, I always dive with a backup spg and timer. I guess I know why now hahah. Whew, that sucked, but at least it happened before the trip, not during. Hmmm, maybe that is why my instructors always told me to test the gear before the trip.

Also remember to put the computer back in your dive bag after testing it! That is why I carry a backup spg/depth gauge console in my reg bag!

I just saw your post,. How did the unit do diving?

PM me so we can send you a new battery and oring, I'd also like some more detail on the lock up, it sounds like you have a last build VT Pro and they have been a very solid unit for us.

Best,

Chris

Thanks for the response!

It worked fine during the trip, except that the downloaded log details where messed up on a couple of the dives.

The computer locked while I was reviewing my logs. I used the main button to scroll through the logs and used the side button to see the details. On one of the logs, when I hit the side button, the back light came on and locked. It did not go into the details of the log.

Prior to viewing the logs, I had been reviewing and adjusting alarms in Set 2 menu.

The computer had been activated about 20 minutes before the lockup.

I have also noticed that some of the downloaded logs have incorrect depths or dive times on them. For instance, the log will correctly show me at 80 feet, then 15 seconds later at zero feet, then back at 80 feet 15 seconds later.

I have also seen logs where the start or end pressure is missing.

I have not noticed any issues with depth while diving. The only real issue while diving has been loosing the signal quite often. I can usually regain the signal by moving my hands arounds until it gets the signal again.

Glad the computer worked for your trip. I'm pretty sure diving the Flower Gardens on PADI tables would be next to impossible, given the depth/dive schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom