Apeks front cover tool- where to find?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I'm looking for an Apeks front cover tool to be able to remove the faceplate from my Apeks ATX 2nd stages. I have downloaded the service manuals for the 1st and 2nd stages, and the tool they reference in the 2nd stage manual is an "AT31 front cover tool". I'm not a certified reg service technician, and I don't plan to do any serious servicing of the reg but it would be really nice to be able to pull the faceplate off to remove sand/debris that finds it's way in there. So far, I've had to take it into the LDS on a couple of occasions to have them do it and they're nice enough about it but it's a hassle and it seems like something that should be easy enough to do by myself. However, when I ask the LDS about buying the tool they will not sell it to me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

Mine too... I had no idea a tool was available, let alone needed. Easy faceplate removal was one of the deciding factors for my reg choice.

The "AT31 front cover tool" is just an adjustable face spanner, available at better hardware stores .(or Scubatools)
Face-Spanner.jpg

(or http://mcmaster.com)
The AT31A is the fancy round gizmo with 1 pin in the concave surface.
I'll have to dig through my paperwork to find the cost, (I'm guessing maybe $35) but your local AquaLung / Apeks dealer shouldn't have a problem ordering one for you.
Easy faceplate removal was one of the deciding factors for my reg choice.
OOPS!

If you are careful you can use a face spanner, runs about $15. Or use a custom purge cover key, about $14 http://www.scubatools.com/Apeks.html.

Although if you try really hard you should be able to get the faceplate off by hand.

I havn't had my coffee yet, I'm a bit slow....

Tamas:
can you not unscerw it by hand? try placing your whole palm on on and twisting that way.....mine comes off without the tool like that

Mine's pretty darn tight. I managed to muscle it off once using one of those rubber jar gripper things, but then couldn't get it rotated all the way back so the logo was positioned correctly. It's pretty new, so maybe it'll loosen up a bit as it get's older?

Back
Top Bottom