Harness and Dive rite pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the Dive rite integrated weight pockets on a BP and harness, just for fun I tried it on this morning, it seemed to sit there pretty good.
It put the pockets way back next to the BP, under the shoulder, in a slipstream. With the shoulder straps threaded through the top of the pocket, it kept them close to the body, and toward the rear. I still have room for the light can as well. (I havent tried it yet though).
Im interested if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Dave

I have the Dive-Rite pockets on my old backplate. If the design hasn't changed in the last four or five years, then my observations might still have some merit! :)

They were a great improvement over the weightbelt I'd been using, certainly.

They were not totally static when loaded and changing positions underwater, however. The weight would shift them from the sides of the hips toward the front of the belt when switching from the vertical to horizontal plane. Of course the shift wasn't that great, but it was there, and annoyed me frequently.

The Halcyon ACB+ system I now use is completely static, no matter my attitude in the water.

The problem I have with the acb is the length. It takes up so much room that i cant fit the canister. I dont like the idea of having the can on the outside of the pocket. The DR pockets are alot narrower. I can use a belt lock to hold them back if they tend to move forward. I only have 5 pounds in each.
Dave

The new NiMH canisters like the Helios and Stealth fit nicely on the backplate webbing tab of the ACB+ but I can see how the larger Pro canisters would stick out too far.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
It put the pockets way back next to the BP, under the shoulder, in a slipstream. With the shoulder straps threaded through the top of the pocket, it kept them close to the body, and toward the rear.

...but it sounds like having the weight pockects there might make them difficult to reach and ditch quickly in an emergency. Is that not the case? It doesn't make sense to me to wear ditchable weight pockets if you can't easily ditch the weight when you need to.

I am currently waiting for my backplate to arrive from DiveRite so I can finally put everything together. I was planning on having my weight pockets closer to my hips, in front. Any thoughts on this setup would also be appreciated!

otter-cat

With the pockets as far back as possible, it is still easy to get to the the dump handles, They actually end up directly under your armpits.
In this location, they are out of the waterline (in a slipstream) and should be very streamlined......maybe.
If you put them forward, you may increase the drag and possibly increase to snag risk.
Ill try to get a picture of it on and post it.
As I said before, I have never tried this in the water, so Its all academic.

They do look pretty reachable. I was imagining the pockets being much higher when I read your initial description.

Thanks for taking the time to post the images!

Back
Top Bottom