Underwater metal detector: advice/experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro212

Registered
Reaction score
Been thinking about getting an underwater metal detector and I was wondering if anyone uses one or has advice on what to look for or stay away from. I have been looking at a few; Tesoro, DetectorPro, Garrett,... All are around the $600 to $700 dollar region. What do you think?

You'll get more responses if you ask in the treasure hunting forum. You might also try doing a search on this topic. It has been discussed before. If you want true underwater detector for use while diving, you need a Pulse Induction type of unit. Best option is a JW Fisher detector. Stay away from qll those that you listed. IMO they are toys. Those companies make great land based detectors, but UW is not their specialty.

FD

Thanks, Fire Diver. I appreciate your input. By the way, what is the significance to your title? Do you work for the F. D.?

Fisher CZ-20 is the one I use. Works well enough for me. The discrimination is reasonably accurate and I have dug quarters at over a foot deep (annoying) while using it underwater. It's nice on land, too. A little pricey these days at around $1000, but less than the J.W.Fisher 6X ($1395) or 8X($1750). Some may refer to them as "toys", but mine HAS payed for itself and I have used in "searched out" places and found some nice things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom