NAUI Technical courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

imadiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

What do you think about the NAUI Technical courses?
I've been givven tehe oppertunity to enticipate in some tech courses from NAUI.
Why should or shouldn't I do it?

Greets,

Imadiver:confused:

you know... it really DOES NOT MATTER which agency your continued training comes from... its the instructor that will make all of the difference anyway. So go and take the courses and learn as much as you can and concentrate way more on going safer, rahter than just going deeper/longer! (BTW, I am a NAUI instructor)

Actually Pete ,it does make some difference in more advanced diving due to the guidelines set by the certifying agency.An instructor even tho good may have to teach stuff that thier agency pushes .I have my Tri-Mix thru IANTD and at the time you had to dive really deep on air to see the benefits of mix.....my instructor didn't like it ,but the course called for it.I suggest an in-depth interview with the prospective instructor and a soul-searching as to whether thier standards meet mine.I don't think that it's as prevalent now,but it has happened.I got to see in Hal's hole where a coupla guys DIED due to narcosis induced trouble.BTW it was only 39 fathoms.

FSW and not FFW. He has dug a small hole about 20" deep in the bottom to accomplish the full 40 fathoms.

Hal had a reputation for being a bit cavalier in his training of other divers. I do not remember folks dying in 40 fathoms, but there were a couple of fatalities in a very deep lake here in Orlando WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY back when. The lake has since been closed to divers. I know his attitudes have changed from personal interactions with him. I have dove with him in the past and would do so again if the opportunity provided itself.

AND while I do think the agency plays a role, its not nearly as big a role that the individual instructor plays. Some cut corners, some push safety... do that interview you were speaking of and find out what type of guy you are talking to.

Drought had the water table down for most of Fla for a coupla years now.Some local springs were really hit .some local lakes are sand bowls.

in some lakes, yet some still remain sand bowls. Not sure what the geology was that let these lakes dry up and now they can't hold water... probably a sinkhole formed in them, but I am not certain.

NetDoc once bubbled...
I do not remember folks dying in 40 fathoms, but there were a couple of fatalities in a very deep lake here in Orlando WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY back when.

If you read the book "The Cave Divers" you will be able to read about the deaths at 40 fathoms. I believe there were about 4 of them, and all were because of deep air. Anyway, that is besides the point, and just a little tidbit of info. If you like, I will try to remember to grab my copy of it, and summarize the deaths.

If the agency or instructor tells you that they can "train" you to "deal" with narcosis by offering deep air courses... run, don't walk, out the door. They don't have your best interest in mind, IMO.

Good luck.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom