Technical Diving In Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Anyone already read the new Bruce Wienke book?

Would you recommend it the non-tech divers (or tech divers to be)?

I will be very interested to hear. I am in the USA next week and will be very happy to pick up a copy at Barnes & Noble.

Ari :book:

Dr Wienke's books are heavy on the math. It is good if you really want to get one of the most complete pictures of where technical diving is at today (ie modeling, decompression theory, etc).
It is not like the IANTD texts or any other typical diving book, which is good in my opinion.

I doubt that you will be able to pick one up at Barnes and Noble. I ordered mine through Best Publishing (the publisher).

A technical book about diving, more than a book about techinical diving. Looking for a book on what gas to use on a 285' dive with 20 min of bottom time? This isn't the one...

Excellent if you are interested in understanding the current (and past) thinking in tissue and gas modeling. Highly recommended if things like "maximum liklihood" and "second-order differential equations" don't turn you off. Completely readable if you don't understand the math.

Highly recommended for those that want to understand the theory behind the practice.

(Available through better local independent booksellers by special order, or by last resort, Amazon)

I use it to fall asleep or when I run out of magazines in the bathroom.....

It's way beyond me.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Even at the price I paid for it at Barnes & Noble (Omar) seems awful expensive to use for that...

There's a lot of pages in that book!

My local Books-a Million has them in stock.Pre-read one over a up of coffee....it is a load for some.BTW Welcome!

There is some very heavy duty math going on there...I had to break out the algebra and calculus books to see what was going on. There are some parts that would be difficult to understand if you were not a math person. Unless you really want a complete mathmatical understanding of the topics, I would not recommend it. It also costs $50.00, which is a lot if it just sits on the shelf. I have not had time to sit down and read it from cover to cover yet, but from the bits I've flipped through, it seemed very interesting.

From what I hear, it seems that the book is really haevy on the theory of decompression.

I will take a look at it tomorrow (thanks to UP, at Barnes & Noble). By the way UP, any comments as to the book itself?:wink:

I think it might be money well spent and in the worst case might be very serious looking on the shelf. :D

Anyway, I'll have to browse through it and decide on the spot. My guess is that I will end up buying it.

Ari :)

Ari once bubbled...
By the way UP, any comments as to the book itself?:wink:
here's the deal.... I'm still workin' on actually getting started reading it... I am a compuphobe.

I took it along on our boat this summer while we were gunkholing in the US San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands and... well... I was real busy see... watching the anchor chain collect bits of seaweed that floated by...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom