New to this - anything I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey. I was on a SCUBA dive recently and one of the SCUBA instructors was snorkling on the surface and freediving down to point out interesting things he'd seen. I was so amazed by this that I wanna try freediving too! Is there anything I need to know? Can I just take a breath, head right down andt then pop up? I'm not planning on going deep - just seeing how far I can swim down and stuff. Cheers. Caz.

Greetings Chaz...

Freediving is a liberating experience - once you've had some time training. It can seem overwhelming when you think you are going to gasp for breath because of the overwhelming urge to breathe. Although snorkeling/freediving can be done with regular scuba mask, fins and snorkel, they are usually not well suited for the task. I highly recommend getting a low volume mask for eaze in equalization. FIns, well that depends - I prefer real blades, but You can get away with any full foot pocket fin - you lose too much energy transfer on an open foot pocket fin. Cressi and Mares make some full foot pocket fins that are reasonable in cost so I would look at those companys. The blades are slightly longer than typical snorkeling fins so there is more efficiency in your kick when descending down.

Make sure you equalize your ears and mask - even a small amount of depth will have your ears hurting and mask squeezing to your face if not properly equalized. And remember - try to dive with a buddy :)

HTH,

If you are not weighted correctly, you may pop up, you may not. When using a suit, add enough weight to be neutral at 15 feet. If that doesn't feel right, experiment until you get the right combo. Dig around in your locker for a simple J snorkel. It has less resistance. Learn to use it without choking, before diving down that is. You may find a rubber weight belt is more useful but a standard web type will work.

Good points you raise pescador...

One thing many divers (including freedivers) don't realize is removing the snorkel from your mouth just after you take in your last breath and dive down - studies have shown that the urge to breathe takes longer to happen and there is less likelihood of swallowing waterwhile on the dive.

I use a rubber weighbelt and swear by it. Some freedivers wear a harness that distributes the weight more evenly across the back. but that's for later on... :wink:

Umberto's book is the bible for freediving in my opinion and I recommend it to anyone looking to freedive. I use it as the basis of any freediving I teach.

Lamnid, there are lots of UK Freedivers on www.deeperblue.net.

the best advice I can give to a beginner is to find a mentor/experienced buddy.

5 ata, most spearos are conscious of the snorkel thing, but for different reason. Unless the snorkel is removed, bubbles will ensue from the tube and scare fish, especially croakers like the white sea bass. I never checked to verify the breath stimulus angle but it may well be true.

keeping the snorkle out of your mouth while diving is a safety measure as well. if you do blackout having your mouth shut can prevent aspriation of water. lots of controversy around this, but is a small thing to remember and could save your life, well worth it.

Aharon Solomons chastised me BIG time when training with him earlier this year when I forgot to remove my snorkel out of my mouth. I have found that my urge to breathe comes on later having the snorkel out of my mouth. I'm not a spearo so I can't vouch for anything other than what I have personally experienced and was taught. I do feel it is better to leave it out as Amphibious stated.

Free diving can be very dangerous. Shallow Water Blackout (SWB) is a potential problem when free diving at depth for more than one minute. DAN has recommended that one minute should be the limit. Don't go alone and learn the proper technique from experienced free divers.

Caz,

There is a significant community of FreeDivers in the UK and there is a significant investment in proper training and clubs. Whether you want to learn in small buddy teams or take a proper commercial course you can find it in the UK.

Head over to the British FreeDiving Association for more info on freediving clubs in your area and if you want a course, head over to us at http://www.deeperblue.net/courses for more info.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom