Rain-x in mask? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Rain-x in mask?

Sponsored Link

uncreative username
July 31st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Ok, so I was at the hardware store the other day getting rain-x for the jeep, and I noticed this interior rain-x stuff that prevents the windows from fogging up. I got it because this is a really big problem for me, and I put some on the windshield of one of our ambulances after I got done with the jeep. Then, the rescue chief suggested I try putting it on the inside of the visors on the rescue helmets. That got me thinking- do you think it'd work on the inside of a diving mask? Has anybody tried it before?

Chazzjoh
July 31st, 2006, 10:44 AM
I thought the same thing! It made my eyes burn... alot.

jonnythan
July 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
The moment you get water in your mask into your eyes you will be very, very sorry you put RainX in there.

Use standard defogger. It works.

uncreative username
July 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM
I thought the same thing! It made my eyes burn... alot.

Hmmmm........how long after putting the rain-x in did you do your dive? I'm thinking if I put it in now I might be good to go, because I won't have the opportunity to dive for at least another two weeks (:( ).

Paco
July 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't screw around with my vision with a product not intended for masks. Clean the inside of your mask well with soft scrub and use any defogger or spit and you should be good to go.

Jason Ooi
July 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Rain X for mask....?????What do you thing if the mask with water go into your eyes.

Doc
July 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
After it has dried, it will not affect your eyes adversely.

The reported "burning" is from the unevaporated main ingredient: alcohol.

It has no effect on fogging.

Use Toothpaste on your mask before every dive. Works like a charm. If you want to spend money and buy mask defog, you can do that if it makes you feel better. Otherwise, TOOTHPASTE works just fine. Every time, every dive.

OHGoDive
July 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
From the National Institutes of Health:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16004092

I'm noting the warnings about exposure to the eyes... while "complete recovery" is a good thing, I'd pretty much think the whole acute eye irritant thing would be enough to put you off it.

Diver_Wulf
July 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hmmmm........how long after putting the rain-x in did you do your dive? I'm thinking if I put it in now I might be good to go, because I won't have the opportunity to dive for at least another two weeks

Rain-X is designed to leave a residue on the glass it is put on, thats what makes it work for extended periods. So no matter how long you let it dry there will always be a residue on the glass until you wash it off or it eventually wears off. So when you get water in your mask its going to make your eyes burn.

uncreative username
July 31st, 2006, 11:16 AM
yeah yeah yeah, i've done the white toothpaste thing a long time ago, and spit works fine for me, so I don't need to be spending extra $$$ on de-fogger. I just thought this up and was wondering if anybody had tried it before.

Jason Ooi
July 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
I used toothpaste "No problem" spend wisely

gangrel441
July 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM
After it has dried, it will not affect your eyes adversely.

The reported "burning" is from the unevaporated main ingredient: alcohol.

It has no effect on fogging.

Use Toothpaste on your mask before every dive. Works like a charm. If you want to spend money and buy mask defog, you can do that if it makes you feel better. Otherwise, TOOTHPASTE works just fine. Every time, every dive.

Don't know anything about the safety of the product for this use, but the product he is talking about is not the RainEx we all know and love that makes water bead and roll off your windshield. It is a new product by the same company branded under the same name that is applied to the inside of the windshield to keep the windshield from fogging.

I don't know how well it would work or how safe it is, but I think you are probably right about the alcohol being the main irritant, and it seems to me the quantity of residue left on the mask would be miniscule, not enough to cause significant eye irritation. Also, since this product is designed to repel fogging, not rainwater, I am guessing that it would be washed off the inside of the mask after just a few floodings, which would kind of defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.

xScubaStephx
July 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
its weird.. no matter what, usually any mask defogger still makes my mask fog.

uncreative username
July 31st, 2006, 11:43 AM

Have you toothpaste-ed your mask yet?

likelite
July 31st, 2006, 11:53 AM
Try Johnson's baby shampoo. Works great, though mostly I use it on my goggles when I'm lap swimming.

Stormbringer
July 31st, 2006, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't put Rain-X in my mask.

underachiever
July 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
I have (had) the same problem. Tried toothpaste, softscrub, PSI, baby shampoo, sea gold and other defogger products. The only thing I have found that works for me is "SPIT" Not from my mouth, there is a brand of defogger called "SPIT" It works for me.

scubaaaronh
August 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Did you clean your mask reaaly good?

Try using Sea Buff by sea gold it is made to clean new masks. I had a mask that i couldn't get to stop fogging. Cleaned twice with sea buff. Fixed the problem.

Use Johnsons baby shampoo. Cheap and works great. I can get two to three dives out of one coating if you don't rinse it a lot.

Lamnid
August 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM
am i the only one here uncouth enough to gob into my mask? lol!

scubaaaronh
August 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
am i the only one here uncouth enough to gob into my mask? lol!

No i used to but in cold water baby shampoo seems to work better for me.

serambin
August 1st, 2006, 08:16 PM
Don't know anything about the safety of the product for this use, but the product he is talking about is not the RainEx we all know and love that makes water bead and roll off your windshield. It is a new product by the same company branded under the same name that is applied to the inside of the windshield to keep the windshield from fogging.

I don't know how well it would work or how safe it is, but I think you are probably right about the alcohol being the main irritant, and it seems to me the quantity of residue left on the mask would be miniscule, not enough to cause significant eye irritation. Also, since this product is designed to repel fogging, not rainwater, I am guessing that it would be washed off the inside of the mask after just a few floodings, which would kind of defeat the purpose of using it in the first place.

By the way, the same alcohol is in . . . the lense cleaners you get at the eye-doctors office.

Stan

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1