Job in Upcountry Maui. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Put in for a Company Transfer to Maui --job involves service & maintenance of all the Electronics & Optics of the Air Force Observatory -tracks all the Space Junk up in orbit- 10,000 ft up on the Summit of Haleakala. Hoping for a fair salary offer as well as a generous relocation bonus to help with the outrageous cost-of-living over there.

Would be my absolute first time on this wonderful Island:
How expensive is it (rent, food etc)?? Where with the Nenes & Menehunes would I live upcountry, leading up and commuting to the Summit (in Makawao, Pukalani or Kula)?

Makawao ot Pukalani are nice, Mak is smaller and more old school Maui. Kula is pretty when it's out of the clouds and not raining. It is cool there. In fact a lot of homes have heaters and fireplaces upcountry. Very expensive to live there. A studio in Makawao two years ago was $1100 and it was a steal. Fuel and food are also very expensive.

You'll probably find the best prices in the island for housing to be in Pukalani/Makawao area - It's also one of the nicest climates - low 80's in the day and low 60's at night for most of the year.

Gas is currently 3.55/gal. Milk is 7.50/gal (though it's frequently on sale for considerably less)

Remember if you're going diving that you'll be driving to altitude to get home.

Working up Haleakala you'll get one of the best views of the stars in the world - it's mind boggling on a clear night up there (lots of people get vertigo star gazing up there)

I hope the move works out well for you.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. drop me a PM if you have questions about Maui, I'll try to help where I can.

Back
Top Bottom