6498 Aluminum tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mkaug

Registered
Reaction score
I very nice neighboor of mine let me tank her husbands old tank off her hands. The manafacturing date was April 1973 by Alcan, and sold as a US Diver's tank. I thought it might have been made from a forbidden alloy given its age. Upon further inspection I found that it says SP6498 on the collar, doing a little research I found that the 6498 is a type of alloy, not the dreaded 6531 alloy which many shop refuse to fill.
Upon seeing a few threads about tank material I saw that some said the 6498 alloy was good, and some saying it was flagged as hazardess by the DOT. So which is it, I still need to get it VIP'ed and Hydro tested of course, and get ride of this damn J-valve.

Here is whats written on the tank collar.
Line 1: 3AL
Line 2: DOT-SP6498-3000
Line 3: P13210 USD 4(Alcan symbol)73

Okay, upon doing more research I found that the SP6498 means "special permit"
so this tank probably is made of the bad alloy. If anyone has any links or info, I'd like to read it.

mkaug:
Okay, upon doing more research I found that the SP6498 means "special permit"
so this tank probably is made of the bad alloy. If anyone has any links or info, I'd like to read it.

It depends on the manufacture of the tanks but most of the SP6498 are infact made of the 6531 or close enuff to it that the dot considers them in the same class. you can read more at the link below toword the bottom of the page.

http://www.scubaengineer.com/stop_pressx.htm

US Divers from 1973? It's made from 6351 and I wouldn't touch it. If I recall correctly, tanks that are stamped SP6498 = 6351.
I would turn it into a lamp or trashcan. :wink: Or, depending on how much aluminum goes for per pound, perhaps the local metal disposal place could take it off your hands.

Are you sure it's got an Alcan symbol? All the 6498s I have seen are Luxfer 6351 alloy tanks and have the Luxfer arrow, though they may have the Authorized Testing superimposed A and T mark in the the hydrotest stamp.

The 6498s were grandfathered into the 3AL spec when it was created, and were supposed to be restamped as such at the next hydro. Yours it would appear if those are all the markings was never rehydroed, meaning that it has seen little use and would be, as 6351 tanks go, a good bet to use.

The 1973, USD, aluminum cylinder was, indeed, stamped "Alcan". I disposed of one last month. There was nothing visually wrong with it. After all the publicity hoopla about failures, I figured it was time. Alcan had a financial interest in Luxfer USA which ended in 1997.

I known have aquired 4 "bad" aluminum tanks which many places do not fill.
Anyone know how much alumiminum a pound is?

mkaug:

25 cents to 35 cents a pound, call around to your local scrap yards, the tanks may be higher quality AL than soda cans, so they might be worth more.

mkaug:

I hope you can get something for them. As per aluminum...they are alloys. I forget what the other metals were. A geunine aluminum tank was a rarity and it was a floater!!! I saw one once and the fella kept it as a showpiece.

Back
Top Bottom