Underwater capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ninjan

Reaction score
Hi
I am just now beginning to understand the marvel of freediving. After challenging myself I found out quite recently that I could stay under water for 40-60seconds swimming around. For years I was convinced that I really quote "had a bad set of lungs".
With my new found ability I have now begun to investigate the world to be found under the sea. I feel like a little kid when I pick fights with crabs and swim in formation with schools of fish and I just love it.

My question is for you medium to advanced freedivers here on the forum.

How long can (and do) you stay under the surface without to much of an effort? When I say "stay under" I do not refer to static apnea , but rather having a nice slow underwaterswim investigating rocks and seashells.

Is it realistic for some people to be down there 3-4 minutes like this?
My empahisize is not on competing or breaking reckords but rather in becoming as aquatic as possible.
(and yes I have joined a freediving club as well as I realize that this is quite dangerous when your diving without the proper training)
Thanks in advance=)

Hi Ninjan, there are some physiological adaptations that kick in as one freedives more.

An average of 2-3 minutes isn't unheard of, but it does require some training. 3-4 is for those who have done serious freediving and developed their aquatic potential to a higher level than most of us.

From my perspective, you have done the right thing first off - joining a club. That is really a major thing if there is one available. Secondly - get the right equipment, it will help with your relaxation underwater and you will notice a difference using long blades, a simple snorkle and low volume mask.

Get a copy of Umberto's Freediving Manual - I highly recommend it - I am reading it over and over, absorbing as much as I can and applying what I learn in my pool sessions.

Thank you for your quick reply 5ata. I actually ordered the book on your recommendation after reading your post.
Also I would wonder what you mean with a "simple snorkle"? I use one with a wavedeflector on the top and a small membrane close to the mouth muzzle that allows seawater to pass out when I dive. Would you recommend an even simpler snorkle? and if so may I ask why?

Keep the kit basic to begin with. A nice simple low volume mask, a simple snorkel (and by simple we mean simple just a tube with a mouthpiece that is comfortable for you - anything else just is useless for freediving) and some decent fins (nothing fancy to start with).

Concentrate on your breathing before and after each dive. Keep breaks between each dive to 10 minutes recovery time between each dive to begin with and make sure you are relaxed and breath deeply and slowly.

And of course read Umberto's manual for more info on technique!

ninjan:
Also I would wonder what you mean with a "simple snorkle"? I use one with a wavedeflector on the top and a small membrane close to the mouth muzzle that allows seawater to pass out when I dive. Would you recommend an even simpler snorkle? and if so may I ask why?

A simple J style snorkel is literally a simple tube with mouthpiece. I use a Picasso snorkel, but Cressi, sporasub, mares, omer and others have similar snorkels.

Freedivers tend to eschew the vast majority of diving technology. Most freedivers look at freediving with an almost Zen reverence. Freediving is paring down to the bare essentials and utilizing your physiological talents as the means to immerse yourself underwater. I'm not a spearo - and spearo's tend to be more gadget driven than pure freedivers. The only consolation is that many advance freedivers opt for a monofin - whereas, I am old school and dive with glass composite bi-fins.

I'm a firm believer in getting the right equipment the first time around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom