Cypress/Vortex Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
To those who know - If I leave Vortex at 6 am on Saturday with a canoe - can I make it to Cypress, do a dive, and make it back to Vortex to turn in the canoe in time to make it to Panama City for a three pm boat trip?

Simplified, is about six hours enough time to do a Cypress trip from Ponce de Leon???

For a single dive? Yes, with a little time to spare.

Definately launch from the ramp off of 277 for the ~1mile trip. You won't have time for the ~5mile trip from the ramp on 79.

Plan for 40min drive time, making your arrival at Culpepper Ln boatlaunch for 6:40. Loading and boat prep will bring you to 7:10. ~30min travel time if you are getting your canoe-arms back will bring you to 7:40. Gear up by 8:00 for a leisurely dive of an hour and a half. Gearing down with the dive will bring you to 10AM. Canoeing back with current and tossing gear back in the truck as well as strapping the vehicle to the top will bring you to 11AM. Back at Vortex by 11:45 and out by 12. Puts you at Sally's shortly after and you can eat a huge leisurely meal until 1:45PM so you can get to PCB.

You can shave time everywhere and possibly squeeze two dives in :) We usually meet much later to dive Cypress.

I was told that Vortex will deliver those canoes to Cypress area boat launch also, FYI. Though that costs a little more, that might save you an hour or two of returning the boat to Vortex. just FYI and something to consider.

Nope, they'll only deliver to the SR79 boatlaunch, which adds ~4 miles each way of paddling and quite a bit more river to get lost on...

Its $100 per canoe delivered to a boat launch that takes alot of time to paddle from... rip-off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom