Delta 4 - Oceanic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Semita

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Patented Dynamic Adjustment? How does this work I own a Delta 4 and I get the advantages of the adjustment knob that regulates the airflow of the second stage but I can't tell the differece of what this does?....:confused:

"This mechanically balanced valve maintains a preferred breathing resistance throughout the dive."
:huh:

Please help.

simple, its MAGIC !

You might take it in to get checked in that case. I have a Delta 3 with the same knob and it takes from feeling like a crappy octo to the best reg I've breathed on.

Well I have a delta II so maybe I am not fully up to date. But on the delta II the second stage balance piston works by turning a screw which in turn adjusts the compression of a spring. Not real high tech as the marketing would suggest but it works pretty well.

I just wish they did not use the cheesey plastic snap rings in the balance piston which apparently they will only sell in bulk to the dealers. It may be simpler to rebuild the reg with re-manufactured parts than dealing with Oceanic.

Mr Carcharodon:
Well I have a delta II so maybe I am not fully up to date. But on the delta II the second stage balance piston works by turning a screw which in turn adjusts the compression of a spring. Not real high tech as the marketing would suggest but it works pretty well.

I just wish they did not use the cheesey plastic snap rings in the balance piston which apparently they will only sell in bulk to the dealers. It may be simpler to rebuild the reg with re-manufactured parts than dealing with Oceanic.

We don't sell parts to non dealers. That has been our policy forever. I think if you dig a little on here you will see that we (Oceanic) will bend over backwards to accomadate our dealers and the end user consumer.

I have no idea what "cheesy" snap rings you are talking about in the balanced piston (which one the pre 95, 95, PX2 or PX3?), I looked and don't see that part listed anywhere in the service manual:D

On the orginal question, by mechanically balanced (as opposed to pneumatically balanced) we are speaking about the second stage adjustments ability to self adjust as the reg changes depth.
Our system is the bomb, easy to service and super effective. If anybody looks at the Delta 4's work of breathing and compares to other more complicated balancing systems on second stages you'll see no better (or worse) performance with much more complexity.

Ok ....so at what depths should I notice the difference? I have logged about 50 dives with my new Delta 4 and they have been at shallow depths....maybe that is why I haven't noticed.

Semita:
Ok ....so at what depths should I notice the difference? I have logged about 50 dives with my new Delta 4 and they have been at shallow depths....maybe that is why I haven't noticed.

The great thing about high performance regulators is you may never notice the difference of depth. Once you get cracking pressure and Work of Breathing parameters down where most high performance regs are, it take a machine or a princess to be able to discern the differences. Sometime I think I can sense a difference between my wife's Scubapro S600 and my 1980's Balanced Adjustable, but I am never really sure.l

awap is pretty spot on, the whole idea behing our design is you don't notice any difference, you set it and forget it, no need to readjust for best breathing as your depth changes.

Best,

Chris

Overall , I am very happy with my purchase. Thanks all for the feeedback. The only problem I have had is that the plastic cover for the FDX-10 Balanced Diaphragm First Stage broke. I did not drop it or anything. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it immidiately.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Back
Top Bottom