aqualung legend first stage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kendogg_66

Registered
Reaction score
I just recently purchased an aqualung legend supreme from my lds. They let my try it out for free in their training pool, and I noticed that the top of the first stage kept knocking the back of my head. I had them reassemble the reg set so the first stage is now upside down from what it was. Has anyone else done this? It shouldnt change the performance.

I've seen a number of people do the same thing. I checked with the tech at my LDS before I switched mine.

Kendogg_66:
I just recently purchased an aqualung legend supreme from my lds. They let my try it out for free in their training pool, and I noticed that the top of the first stage kept knocking the back of my head. I had them reassemble the reg set so the first stage is now upside down from what it was. Has anyone else done this? It shouldnt change the performance.

The word is not really "reassemble" All they did was change what ports the hoses were connected to. As far as performance goes it does not matter if the second stage is screwed into the left of right hole because the holes are interconnected inside the first stage.

I did this same thing to my Son's Oceanic Delta 4 reg.

Kendogg_66:

Yup - did it two weeks ago on my last day in Keys. Right after a real duh moment when said "why don't you turn that thing upside down to you don't do that anymore?"

Marc

I don't know why manufacturer's send their 1st stages out like that. It's not as streamlined and it increases entanglement risks. The 1st stage should be even with the top of the tank valve, not sticking above it. IMO it was upside down when you got it. You now have it right side up! Like ChrisA already posted, no change in performance.

The SP Mk 25 and it's ancestors are the same way. They work best if pointed down as it gives you more head clearance.

There are however soem very short necked tank valves still floating around that were produced in the 80's and 90's that are not tall enough to allow the reg to clear the shoulder of an AL80 when the reg is pointed down. That may be why Aqualung sends them out with the second stage on the "wrong" side.

Of course a customer service oriented LDS could easily switch that one single hose on the first stage before adding the octo, SPG, and inflator hoses, especially if you are using newer tanks or their own rental tanks which they would know would be compatible. If you buy mailorder, I can see them hedging their bets to avoid a complaint of the reg not fitting on a valve.

In most cases the valve-to-the-back-of-the-head "problem" is a problem of a poorly arranged BC rather than tank height. Basically the bottom of the tank is too far away from your body, which allows the tank to tilt the valve too close to the head. Before lowering the tank, try tightening the BC at the waist.
Under any circumstances make sure that no matter how you arrange your tank and regulator, you can (1) reach the hose for your primary reg at the first stage, and (2) reach - and turn - the tank valve.
Rick

DA Aquamaster:
The SP Mk 25 and it's ancestors are the same way. They work best if pointed down as it gives you more head clearance.

There are however soem very short necked tank valves still floating around that were produced in the 80's and 90's that are not tall enough to allow the reg to clear the shoulder of an AL80 when the reg is pointed down. That may be why Aqualung sends them out with the second stage on the "wrong" side.

Of course a customer service oriented LDS could easily switch that one single hose on the first stage before adding the octo, SPG, and inflator hoses, especially if you are using newer tanks or their own rental tanks which they would know would be compatible. If you buy mailorder, I can see them hedging their bets to avoid a complaint of the reg not fitting on a valve.

I know an LDS owner that was shocked when I told him he had it "upside down". He was putting up his display and I commented on it. When he stopped to look at it, he realized the issue and changed it. But it had never occurred to him before to change it. :11:

I have a Legend. After you turned it upside down did you put your first stage in the bottom or top port? I put my first stage in the bottom port and my octo in the top port. I didn't like the routing after diving with it. Before I reverse them and try again, did you like the routing if you used the other way? I really like the routing with the orginal orientation.

Back
Top Bottom