Comments re: Integrated Octopus set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting ready to order my first set of gear (for tropical waters).

I find the integrated octopus concept soooooo appealing because of there being one less hose and apparently better streamlining. Also, easier to pack in a carry-on.

I had read some comments on rec.scuba or rec.scuba.equipment advising against it for reasons like the octopus being in an awkward position to breathe from IF there's some problem and I have to give my primary reg. to a dive buddy.

Was wondering what you folks think about the integrated octopus set-up and any experience you've had with them, pro or con and which model you were using.

Thanks in advance,

Sy

You will hear some pretty negative comments about the integrated octo from some people around here, but a number of us like it. There are several recent threads on the subject. Just search for "integrated octo" or "AIR2" and you will find them.

I use an Octo+, I have breathed out of it a number of times at depth and it functions great. You might want a longer primary hose since you will be donating it. Just a thought.

I have the atomic SS1, I really like it. I like not having the extra hose plus I have wireless air integration. So I only have two hoses coming off my first stage.

As far as being awkward yes you dont have as much room, but who cares you are just trying to give your buddy air and get the surface. Its not like your going to stay down and finish the dive or something. Plus how often does something like that happen, its for rare emergency use. I think that if it will make you more comfortable in the water then you should go for it.

1_T_Submariner:
You might want a longer primary hose since you will be donating it. Just a thought.
You do want a longer primary hose. I had to "practice" this the other day and it would have been nice to breathe off of a longer hose. I like my AIR2 setup so far. It's a little more difficult to orally inflate than my regular inflator. I have considered going back to the octo for that reason.

I have about 12 dives with my SS1, and have no problems. I did go with a 7' hose at the same time, just so sharing would be easier. Breathing from the integrated unit does limit your head movement a bit, but, as said in many threads, its not often you'll be using it. I like the convenience so far.

As to usage, here's how I see it:
  • Real OOA condition - pretty rare IMHO
  • Drills - something I should do more often
  • Testing - I breath off the SS1 for a minute at the beginning of every dive. When I had the Octo, at least one the first dive of the day.
  • Air Sharing - now that I'm diving with a 130CF water heater, I can actually share air with my buddy, to extend dive times, and still stay within safe reserve limits ( can't do this without a long hose )

After diving with a regular octo for the first year, I finally decided to buy and try an Atomic SS1 for my rig. *I* love using it. It's nice to loose the hose and the buttons work great and it breathes almost as well as my primary regulator. Plus it just looks cool to have a big yellow Atomic reg on your stuff

The one thing that it really did was make me appreciate the quality and reliability of my octo. With my old one, I just had the cheapest one I could find. I never breathed on it, just hit the purge now and then to make sure it was still working. But with the SS1, I put it in my mouth everytime I got in the water. Since I might be using it one day, I want it to be nice and reliable to use.

But today, I went with my GF through OW class and when we got to the OOA practices... things didn't go so well. It's confusing how and when to give and switch regulators. And the hoses are so short, we couldn't see each other without taking the regs out of our mouths. Not to mention I have a SeaCure mouthpiece on my primary that is uncomfortable in her mouth. Even in the pool it added stress to the exercise, I can't imagine the panic it would induce in a real emergency.

It made me realize that I would literally have to reteach every person I dive with how to properly do an OOA with me. Since I have a few buddies, that would be a major pain. And when diving with my daughter, I want there to be no confusion on what to do in an emergency. She and I have practiced the traditional OOA procedure many, many times together.

One other reason is I like to use the Hammerhead noise thing on my setup so that I can easily get the attention of my daughter or niece when diving. With the SS1, I tried a few different versions but I couldn't find one that fit the SS1. Not to mention the SS1 is considerably more bulky than my Zeagle inflator hose.

Due to these things, I am going back to the traditional octo. But definitely one that I wouldn't mind doing a whole dive on in the rare case my primary had an issue.

But the only way for you to find out is to get in the water with it. It sounded like a wonderful idea to me on the Internet, but the underwater reality (as usual) was a bit different. Hope this helps.

And the hoses are so short, we couldn't see each other without taking the regs out of our mouths.
How short are your hoses? Are you both breathing off your Air2?

Not to mention I have a SeaCure mouthpiece on my primary that is uncomfortable in her mouth.
In most cases, you donate your primary anyway, which has SeaCure mouthpiece. How would an Octo help?

I have had an AIR2 for over 150 dives, great system, breathes fine down to 30m+.
Yes you need a longer hose on your primary and that is what you donate. In a real OOA situation that is the one that will be taken from you as that is working and has the right gas for the depth you are at.

Back
Top Bottom