The Where on Earth is TallaDAYga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Everyone in Talladega County, Talladega Racetrack, Talladega National Forest and Talladega City and all their neighbors all pronounce the name of their place TallaDIGa.

We have the movie now - probably making fun of southern folks - and all the cast, most of them Yankees, know how to pronounce TallaDIGa. Jay Leno knows how to pronounce TallaDIGa.

Now the local news anchor on the local Montgomery television station just pronounced it TallaDAYga. There is no such place as TallaDAYga. I AM depressed.

I guess we can be proud that the little redheaded boy from Clanton that says "You'll be grinning when you buy from McKinnon." got himself a part in the move. Even he pronounces it TallaDIGa.

Go Figure!!!

crap, i always pronounced it TallaDAYga

good to know

TallaDAYga is the only way I've ever known to pronounce it.... :confused:

ScubaTexan:
TallaDAYga is the only way I've ever known to pronounce it....
me too

BTW: Vestavia Hills is just south of B'Ham....

same thing with...
louisville..pronounced lewis vil or loo ee vil
tomato...tow may toe or tow mah toe
maryville... mary vil or mar vil

If your from the southern USA alot of stuff is said with a draw. Think about how poorly president Bush pronounces things. Extreme example but one none the less.

All I do is dive and I have an absoutely awesome life.

If you don't dive you haven't lived, but if all you do is dive....you have no life.

I've met people in this world who are obssessed at things in life. Diving included. If ALL THAT YOU DO IS DIVING your life is not balanced. If you never leave your house to go outside and experience life because you want to try out a new gear configuration your missing out on stuff. I've met several people who were dive masters and dove atleast 3 dives a day for years, had no time for anything else in their lives. They burned out. My signature is not meant as an insult to anyone who is addicted to diving. It's more a statement that you should enjoy life as well as diving.
Someone told me once "you have to be able to just sit back and relax and enjoy the finner things in life and know how and when to just kick back and sit."

I have seen people who devote their lives to a sport, everything in their lives was to help their pursuit of the sport. Then one day something dreadful happens, the thing they've lived for in the past years is now out of their reach because of health issues. I've met people who were addicted to hiking and had to stop because they fell and broke vertabrae. they seem like empty lifeless shells.

The people who have been an inspiration to me and mentors were the ones who had balance. I've met people who loved to run 5 miles a day and get in horrible car accidents causing them to loose a leg or both and instead of sitting there not being able to run they are out kayaking and competing with each other racing their wheelchairs.

If the unfortunate were to happen and someone not be able to dive and they did not have the right balance to their lives. Think how hard it would be to not have someone else to focus on.

Sorry for getting off track in this forum
Found out something when talking to a nascar fan. It seems that Talladega is an native american word pronounced ta la day ga.

I've always pronounced it TallaDAYga as well, but I'm not a true alabamian so I dunno(nor care) whether it was correct :)

Back
Top Bottom