equipment insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How do you insure your gear, or do you? I am thinking of getting my renters insurance to include it...but I'd like something that would cover gear that is lost in an emergancy, or stolen while at a dive site, or if something goes wrong and I get raked against some barnicles shreding my drysuit....ext. So what do y'all have protecting your toys?

There are several good dive equipment insurance companies.
I use the one promoted by DAN.
SennDunn
~$100/year covers about $3800 of gear and covers
camera flooding as well.

You can go to their website to get details and a quote.

--- bill

I've used them and made a claim for around $2k when my equipment was stolen earlier this year. I give them an A+ - nice folks and paid with minimal hassle (from them, at least - trying to get a police report out of SFPD was a different storry).

You can find excruciating detail on my experience with them here.

I asked this very same question on another board & found out that my homeowners insurance cover's for loss, theft or damage anywhere. The only place it doesn't cover is while in the care of the airlines. So you might want to go ahead & see if renters insurance will cover or maybe get a separate policy from like State Farm for example.

Although, like the other's have mention, the previously mentioned insurance companies through Dan have an excellant reputation.

Not to infringe on your post, but your post does bring to mind my original question.

Does anyone know of insurance that will cover equipment while in the care of the airlines? Dan & the other dive insurance companies won't. I want coverage in case the airline loses my bag or damages my equipment while it's in their care. I don't want a great big hassel w/the airlines, which I'm sure many of you are familar with.

The airlines allow you to purchase extra insurance on your bags. I've done that especially on international flights where lost bags allowance is based on weight which won't even cover the cost of the bag. It can be expensive.

Pretty funny... the airlines will insure your bags but charge you like you're never going to see it again.... think they know something we don't?

webhead:
The airlines allow you to purchase extra insurance on your bags. I've done that especially on international flights where lost bags allowance is based on weight which won't even cover the cost of the bag. It can be expensive.

Pretty funny... the airlines will insure your bags but charge you like you're never going to see it again.... think they know something we don't?

Oh! I'm positive they know something we don't! Have you ever seen them handle luggage? It's downright deplorable :(

BTW, thanks for tip for insurance through the airlines, I've been all over the net looking at trip insurance is skyhigh to get a decent policy.

met with state farm today...my gear is covered if stolen, burned, or hit with a falling object...but, they can write a spereate policy that will cover my gear in just about anything that happens, as long as it's not intentional....the disapointing part was when they heard I was a diver, they sugested my wife up my life insurance policy...do people really think that diving is that dangerous?

Kwbyron:
met with state farm today...my gear is covered if stolen, burned, or hit with a falling object...but, they can write a spereate policy that will cover my gear in just about anything that happens, as long as it's not intentional....the disapointing part was when they heard I was a diver, they sugested my wife up my life insurance policy...do people really think that diving is that dangerous?

Please explain more about what State Farm told you.....are you to provide them with detailed gear lists and continually update...how do they do this??

Diving is like any other sport,,,it is only dangerous when you get hurt. Right?

They wanted some sort of proof of it's value, they said a quote from a LDS would work and they needed to see the equipment. I'd imagine as I buy more gear, I would update the policy, when I get the stuff together and go sign the policy, I'll ask about airline coverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom