All my local diving shop has is Tusa and XS Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
I have been reading about so many people here that use and love Zeagle and Scubapro. I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of models. Then I called my LDS and found out that they only carry Tusa and XS Scuba.

They recommend either the RS-460 X-Pert or the Tri-Metal one by XS Scuba.

The price of the envoy and its features seemed pefect for me. What should I do? BTW, their prices seem fair. $299 for the Tri-Metal one is similar to online stores that I have seen.

The Tri-Metal was ranked very highly in recent regulator tests. PM PaulWall. he's got one and can tell you how he likes it.

I believe that the RS-460 is supposed to be a good reg also.

Here's recent reviews: (has both Tri-Metal and Tusa on first one)

2005's Best New Breathers
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/

ScubaLab Special Report: Muscle Regs
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/

Note: I think the Tusa comes with a "lifetime warranty" that includes free parts for life and the XS Scuba free parts warranty is limited to about 3 years. I'm not positive on this and it can't be verified since www.xsscuba.com appears to be down.

I guess it depends if you want to build a relationship with your dive shop, where you can buy the regs and get them serviced at the same store. If you buy from an online source and can not get them serviced locally, you will most likely end up mailing them out for service. How close are you to a Zeagle dealer? How long has the shop been in business? How long have they carried these lines of equipment? I have seen many a shop go under or change the equipment lines they carry. Just my 2 cents as to some of the question I would consider if I was in your position.

If you really think that you want a Scubapro reg then go with the Tusa RS460. As I understand it it's a licensed clone of the Scubapro MK 16 R390. It is either made by Tabata Usa under license from Scubapro or vice versa depending on who you talk to. I own this reg and have been very happy with it. It just went with me to Belize where it dove the Blue Hole. I've had no problems. It seems to be very sensitive and I typically dive with the adjustment in the pre-dive position even at depth. I've heard great things about the tri-metal as well. It did very well on Rodale's tests.

Headers is quite correct on the Tusa RS460...its produced in Italy at the same facility as the Scubapro MK16/R390 and is essentially the same regulator as its Scubapro counterpart. Its a very reliable and excellent regulator with many favorable reviews. I would have no trouble recommending it if your LDS services it. While its no problem in ordering or purchasing your regs elsewhere including online I would seriously consider getting something your local LDS services and supports. I would hate to have to send my regs via mail or UPS/FEDEX, etc. to another shop just to get their annual service.

We like the TUSA RS-460 expert, it's a great regulator.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_rs460.cfm

Another option would be to go for the MR12 Rebel and save $100 to use for more gear. It is a proven workhorse, but it will all depend on what features you are looking for.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mares_mr12.cfm

Compare the features and your needs before you decide to buy. Look around, read the forums here. Don't go with a "brand" just because people talk about the brand, look at the track record and features. As you will see in many of the posts, a lot of the gear is made by a few manufacturers, they just label them differently.

Do you have any specific features that you're looking for? Cold water diving, Tech? etc.?

Britt :fish:
:fish:

sammyman:
I have been reading about so many people here that use and love Zeagle and Scubapro. I thought I had narrowed it down to a couple of models. Then I called my LDS and found out that they only carry Tusa and XS Scuba.

They recommend either the RS-460 X-Pert or the Tri-Metal one by XS Scuba.

The price of the envoy and its features seemed pefect for me. What should I do? BTW, their prices seem fair. $299 for the Tri-Metal one is similar to online stores that I have seen.

I have two Tri-Metal regulators that I have used heavily for the past year. They breathe great and I have had absolutely no problems with them. I used them for my tech diving and they worked quite well at 200 feet. In fact my wife took one and has used it for the past six months when her Dacor starting giving her trouble.

Back
Top Bottom