Compressors at govt auction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pescador775

Contributor
Reaction score
FYI, the govt is set to auction several dozen new (circa 1960's), Stewart Warner compressors. These are nominal 3.5 cfm, gas engine power. These are nice units but the engines are 2.5 hp, possibly underpowered for filling 3000 psi tanks. A typical conversion is to replace the military engine with a Honda 5.0 hp. Also, a final filter would be needed for Scuba.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=934130&convertTo=USD

You read it correctly, the compressor assemblies are designed to fill 2000 psi flamethrower tanks. However, the Stewart Warner pump is rated nominal 3000 psi and can go to 3500 safely. Relief valves on the civilian versions were set for 3300. However, the light weight military engine may slow down a bit at that pressure.

My compressor came from a military auction. 1960's era compressors seem a little iffy to me as parts might be hard to find. My compressor is a 1997 model, I couldn't be happier with it. I got a great price on a great compressor.
Brent

Yeah, when it comes to parts, you are on your own, almost. However, Protecair carries parts for the Stewart Warner. Also, you could probably buy four of these new, surplus compressors for 1/2 the price of an Alkin and 1/3 the price of a Bauer. The performance is similar although the new, commercial compressors will pump to 4400 psi vice 3500 for the MIL SPEC units. Bauer units come up for auction frequently. There have been many questions posted relating to "where can I get a compressor, reasonable" (cheap). Actually, right under your nose.

Not to be overly paranoid, but how can you tell exactly what gas(es) these things have been pumping and what kind of oil they've been using?

Is it possible to disassemble and clean them well enough that they could pump SCUBA-quality air?

Terry

pescador775:
FYI, the govt is set to auction several dozen new (circa 1960's), Stewart Warner compressors. These are nominal 3.5 cfm, gas engine power. These are nice units but the engines are 2.5 hp, possibly underpowered for filling 3000 psi tanks. A typical conversion is to replace the military engine with a Honda 5.0 hp. Also, a final filter would be needed for Scuba.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=934130&convertTo=USD

pescador775:
You read it correctly, the compressor assemblies are designed to fill 2000 psi flamethrower tanks.
Hey, I'd like to see a tank explode because someone used a flamethrower on it.

The compressors are new, never used, govt surplus. They are intended to pump air. Cleaning is not required. However, if you intend to change compressor oil type, it is advisable to flush with some of the new oil and refill. I see no reason to diss them or to talk trash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom