Whiskey wreck questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Tack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Matt: What is the best time of day to do the Whiskey wreck? I am thinking early morning. Is the current usually much of a consideration? How far off the beach is it? Sorry for all the questions. It has been a long time since I made the dive. One of my biggest memories is how much heavier that gear is walking in the sand. Planning to to dive her early Sunday morning along with my snorkling friends. Thanks

Mike

Mike, as with all Shore diving you will find high tide gives a better viz. There really is never much of a problem with a current there sometimes the surge can kick up a little on when this happened it’s a gentile push on the south side it can rub you up against the wreck if your not careful

You were saying something about an am dive if I recall right you will have a incoming high tide it should make for a nice dive for you all. Have you got a set time yet that you will be there?

Mike, the wreck is approximately 100 yards due south of Bahama Bobs. It is easier to park if you get to the parking lot before the lunch traffic.

Early morning is good time for several reasons. Tides are running high in the morning, which is good. Also, the water tends to be alot calmer in the morning. The winds pick up throughout the day and things will get choppier. Parking isn't as big of a problem either.

Just line up with Bahama Bob's sign and swim directly south. You'll find the starboard side of the hull in ~13' of water. The boats running east-west, so its hard to miss. Its a very cool dive right now compared to 2-3 years ago.

Occasionally there is a sideshore current, but its managable and not all that common.

I am planning to be there around 7 AM Sunday along with my snorkling friends. If anyone wants to come dive I would welcome a buddy.

Mike

i'll be there for sure. would you want to dive alabama point later on?i've never dove it before,but i'd like to check it out.

I Dove It Tuesday And Noticed Even Alot More Of The Wreck Is Uncovered. My Max Depth Was 17' And Total Bottom Time Was 1:30 . I Went Around 10:30 And The Vis Was 8-10 Ft.

Port Tack:
I am planning to be there around 7 AM Sunday along with my snorkling friends. If anyone wants to come dive I would welcome a buddy.

Mike

I'm down for a Whiskey early Sunday :) Count me in.

THUMBSUP55:
i'll be there for sure. would you want to dive alabama point later on?i've never dove it before,but i'd like to check it out.

High Tide is at 8:30AM, probably not gonna be out of the water by then. If you were to dive AL Pnt Jetties afterwards, you could do a low vis(baywater) drift out and around the point, but the walk back is long through the sand :p

jwhitlock:
I Dove It Tuesday And Noticed Even Alot More Of The Wreck Is Uncovered. My Max Depth Was 17' And Total Bottom Time Was 1:30 . I Went Around 10:30 And The Vis Was 8-10 Ft.

Did you swim West of the majority of the wreckage? The port side hull of the bow side of the ship is uncovering :D as well as alot of ballast from that side!

Sounds good! Maybe we will have a little group of folks from the Scubaboard. Looking forward to meeting you all Sunday.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom