misc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlcriscione

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the venice port charlotte area. Moved up here from naples. I am an avid diver and spearfisherman looking for dive buddies. Mainly on sundays my day off. I have a 21 foot seachaser boat. I would like to get out to some of the deeper wrecks, like the bayronto, california, ect. I will be going this sunday weather permitting. Anyone interested in doing these deeper water dives 100-120 feet please call me and I will call whenever I am going out. My number is 239-398-3576. All I ask is to help pay for gas, water, food, ect. My name is Jeremy and I live in port charlottee. Well looking forward to meeting some of you. DIVE DEEP

Sea-Diver:
WEEKI WACHEE SPRINGS

Location Central Florida West

Why? MERMAIDS!!!!!!!!!!

This dive should be in every divers log book
Crystal Clear and 74 degrees year round

More information can be found at www.diveweeki.com

Weeki Wachee Springs
Long:82.575319°W mins
Lat:29°N mins
Travel time: From Orlando 1.5 hours From Tampa 1 hour
Ease of Dive: 5 Stars
Dive type: First Magnatude Spring Dive
Description: Weeki Wachee Springs is one of the only First Magnitude Springs (170 million gallons a day) in the World. Many marine animals make their home at the springs including species found only in this unique ecosystem! Underwater programs are available for certified and non-certified divers alike. Fun for the entire family! The spring head has a max depth of 50' and is known for its stunning geolological feature--the Canyon! Two huge limestone walls ascend to the surface This is one location you don't want to miss--open year round just 60 minutes from Orlando, Florida. Lets Dive!

Weeki Wachee is a Seminole Indian word meaning "winding river". The Weeki Wachee River flows 12 miles through prisitne wilderness and empties into the gulf of Mexico. The actual spring is a surfacing point of an underground river: it measures 150 ft wide and 250 ft long and pumps an astounding 210 million gallons of water every day! The year round water temperature is a perfect 74.2 degrees. The spring is hosts a wide variety of animals including the endangered manatee.

Actually it is much cheaper to go here for information on Weeki Wachee Tour

TerryInFlorida:
Actually it is much cheaper to go here for information on Weeki Wachee Tour

I'm not a big Fan of that dive shop, but he does seem to be the cheapest in the area, so I have to agree with you. Just don't ask the guy what he thinks of PADI, you'll get an ear full. I'm doing the dive with another dive shop next week http://www.scubawest.net/index.html and it's costing me $50.00

Just did this dive today.

Water was warm, air was not.

Great dive, visibility, as far as you could see before structure/bottom obscured vision
Temp, water 75+ degrees, air 45 degrees
No manatees, but some very friendly Turtles (see my photo album pictures)
You must sign up through a LDS as Weeki Wachee does not allow you to just show up. Prices vary from $45.00 to $75.00. It's generally a two tank dive. You get there around 8am and must be out of the water by 10:30am so the water can clear for the mermaid show. (read - suit up fast and get in the water)

you meet in front of the Weeki Wachee attraction front gates with the folks from the LDS that signed you up for the dive. They take you to a stageing area right next to the spring where you gear up. depending on the LDS they either give you a quick tour of the spring, or they let you go off to explore the spring.

Not too much in the way of fish. We did see 3 or 4 very friendly turtles. Visibility is incredable. Max depth seems to be around 50-55 feet.

Only complaint is LOUSY bathroom facilities, and no changing area, unless you count the bathroom. (maybe i'm spoiled from Disney Dive Quest).

I was able to blow bubbles today. Booked a trip thru Force E that left out of Sands for 2 tank afternoon trip on "Safari Diver" with South Florida Dive Headquarters.

2 dives, first at Lighthouse Ledge. Where's the lighthouse? Had 48 foot depth, 25 foot viz, 1-2 foot surface swells. Was diving with a newer diver on this first dive so this was a short dive, 34 minute bottom time.

Second dive was at Shark's Reef. Where are the sharks? This was a nice long dive, 63 foot max depth, drifted over the reef. Saw alot of fish I'm not familiar with, as I'm normally a CA diver. Where are the Garibaldis??? :) Also an eel and a fish who had it's head buried in the reef. I thought it was dead but it moved as I got close but still kept it's head buried in the reef. It was weird...maybe it was sick. Or food was in there? Or eggs? But it's not very effiecient to bury your head in to protect something, as it left him exposed to anything that he couldn't see swimming by. ANYWAY... 57 minute bottom time, 73 degree water, 25 foot viz or so.

Safari Divers did a good job, Captain/Divemaster Mike was amusing.

Tomorrow is a dive with Loggerhead charters out of Boynton. Woohoo!!! 2 days diving in a row. It's a good week. :)

Does anyone have any info on diving the old phosphate docks off Boca Grande? I know the current can be ripping and must be dived during slack tide, but any additional info would be appreciated. I've heard the depth is 60+ fsw, which would make it the deepest in-shore dive in the area.

This is a great discussion. The post on the Destin Jetties is great. I have been trying for years to get that information from someone. Lots of people have been but nobody could ever give me details necessary for planning a dive.

Thanks so much guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom