ATOM 1.0 Air time remaining vs Dive time remaining

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dooz

New
Reaction score
My wife and I recently picked up atom 1.0s. Both dived 4 dives on them so far and quite like them. However, I recall seeing something on this board about the fact that the computer should show air time remaining on the main screen if this is less than no deco time remaining, but this has not been our experience. Is there a configuration option that I'm missing or am I mis-recalling?

Cheers,

Ian.

I think it will not screen what is limiting your dive.

Rather it 'beeps' and the screen "view air" pops out for you to acknowledge that your air time remaining is less than your NDL.

Ok, there is a post ALREADY about an Atmos 2.0 computer flooding in the Aeris section.

Folks at Oceanic, what the heck is going on? The chances of 2 members with two different versions of a product, one of them had the issue twice, is slim. Sadly, this is only the reported cases that we as a board are aware of due to members reporting the issue. It's got many of us wondering just how many Atom products Oceanic has had to replace already.

I hate to say it, but my confidence in the Atmos product is QUICKLY going down the tubes, which will influence my decision to purchase either product. Granted SSI tells its Dive Cons and Instructors to purchase the equipment sold through the shop they work from, and we do that at the shop. As a soon-to-be instructor, I need to be able to brag on the products I use in class and promote at the shop, but how can I promote a product to students when it is proving to be unreliable?

I'm almost thinking that if Oceanic offers a 1 year warrant on their product that it needs to go to a 5 year warranty to help raise the confidence of buyers on the Atmos line. That way we at least guarantee that a nearly $1000 computer set up will serve us well.

Tell you all what. Sounds like Oceanic needs to select some dive shops that have instructors who religiously use their products and dive computers, send them a mixture of about 4-6 Atmos 1.0 and 2.0 products and ask them to field test them for flooding issues over a rigorous period of 30-90 days, logging as many different dives (salt, fresh, multi-level, deep, tropical, cold, current, etc) as can be done throught a spread of locations (not just the coastal states). I know I'd be willing to dive the product for field testing (with analog redundancy of course) and give it back after the time period so they can check the product for issues.

dooz:
My wife and I recently picked up atom 1.0s. Both dived 4 dives on them so far and quite like them. However, I recall seeing something on this board about the fact that the computer should show air time remaining on the main screen if this is less than no deco time remaining, but this has not been our experience. Is there a configuration option that I'm missing or am I mis-recalling?

Cheers,

Ian.

What Uglyredshoes said. But the manual says that after beeping and "VIEW > AIR" scrolling the display will switch to Alternate Display #1 (which is the tank pressure display) and the tank pressure will appear flashing.

Right, I thought I'd read that properly, but it doesn't switch to Alternate Display #1, I have to do that myself by pressing the button, and it constantly switches back the main display, which is displaying an entirely useless number (no deco time remaining).

It's usable, but it seems a bit silly, given that it obviously has the knowledge that air time is currently less than no-deco time. It'd be nice if it did what the manual says it's supposed to do.

dooz:
Right, I thought I'd read that properly, but it doesn't switch to Alternate Display #1, I have to do that myself by pressing the button, and it constantly switches back the main display, which is displaying an entirely useless number (no deco time remaining).

It's usable, but it seems a bit silly, given that it obviously has the knowledge that air time is currently less than no-deco time. It'd be nice if it did what the manual says it's supposed to do.

Absolutely Dooz. It should. I have never wondered about it because i usually ensure that I finish a dive with plenty of air left and also use an analog SPG, but if it does not switch to Alternate Dispaly #1 automatically when Air Time Remaining becomes lesser than No Deco Time (or O2 time remaining if on Nitrox) that is a matter of serious concern. I wonder why the Oceanic team has not yet responded to this post. Normally they are pretty quick off the mark.

Ok, so I saw the first two postings in this thread and didn't catch the rest. This should be fun...

diverdown247:
Ok, there is a post ALREADY about an Atmos 2.0 computer flooding in the Aeris section.

I expect we will see postings on every possible thing that could go wrong. The Atmos 2 has been around for a while.

Folks at Oceanic, what the heck is going on? The chances of 2 members with two different versions of a product, one of them had the issue twice, is slim. Sadly, this is only the reported cases that we as a board are aware of due to members reporting the issue. It's got many of us wondering just how many Atom products Oceanic has had to replace already.

I don't have a clue how many have been returned. However both Doug and I have posted before that there are known issues with earlier versions of the Atom 1.0 both in regards to quick battery drain and yes flooding. The failure rate on Atom 1.0's made in the last 14 months or so is in the normal range for dive computers, the earlier ones are not. However not only are we determined to do better with the Atom 2.0 you can be assured we will not leave the Atom 1.0 users stranded.

I hate to say it, but my confidence in the Atmos product is QUICKLY going down the tubes, which will influence my decision to purchase either product. Granted SSI tells its Dive Cons and Instructors to purchase the equipment sold through the shop they work from, and we do that at the shop. As a soon-to-be instructor, I need to be able to brag on the products I use in class and promote at the shop, but how can I promote a product to students when it is proving to be unreliable?

You lost me, are we talking about the Atom or the Atmos 2? They are VERY different. If this is in regards to the unit in Thailand I don't see the connection, honestly.

I'm almost thinking that if Oceanic offers a 1 year warrant on their product that it needs to go to a 5 year warranty to help raise the confidence of buyers on the Atmos line. That way we at least guarantee that a nearly $1000 computer set up will serve us well.

The warranty is two years and if you look around here you will see we will still consider every case even beyond

Tell you all what. Sounds like Oceanic needs to select some dive shops that have instructors who religiously use their products and dive computers, send them a mixture of about 4-6 Atmos 1.0 and 2.0 products and ask them to field test them for flooding issues over a rigorous period of 30-90 days, logging as many different dives (salt, fresh, multi-level, deep, tropical, cold, current, etc) as can be done throught a spread of locations (not just the coastal states). I know I'd be willing to dive the product for field testing (with analog redundancy of course) and give it back after the time period so they can check the product for issues.

That is part of the new validation process we have put in place

Read our postings about the validation process on the VT3, it was put in place over the last year by the new (OK not so new anymore but still only a year and a half) management team so we stop repeating some past mistakes.

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!

Best,

Chris

diverdown247:
Wise man once say: He who pushes buttons underwater is begging for an expensive flooding.

electronics in water is a problem for computers, cameras , lights and whatever else we take underwater. That sounds like something that comes from a competitor that doesn't have buttons. We have less problems with our computers than they do....

Matsya:
Absolutely Dooz. It should. I have never wondered about it because i usually ensure that I finish a dive with plenty of air left and also use an analog SPG, but if it does not switch to Alternate Dispaly #1 automatically when Air Time Remaining becomes lesser than No Deco Time (or O2 time remaining if on Nitrox) that is a matter of serious concern. I wonder why the Oceanic team has not yet responded to this post. Normally they are pretty quick off the mark.

We have been in a sales meeting all last week/weekend, sorry for the delay. Between the LED flashing/audible alarm and VIEW AIR flashing there are quite a few indicators that air time is an issue. That being said the Atom 2.0 is different because of user feedback. You may be surprised some early feedback on the Atom 2 from users of the Atom 1 has been they like the Atom 1's handling of this more. The Atom 1 was a departure from our normal where many users are able to use it "intuitively" yet when the manual is read and the unit used it is still very logical. Larry from Scubatoys posted on Scubaboard quite a few times how he prefers the Atom 1. The Atom 2 is a more intuitive but you still need to read the manual!

Back
Top Bottom