First two Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGonTheWay

Reaction score
Last Sat myself and a couple friends did our first two dives in the area. This was the first saltwater dive for Brad a recently certified diver. We went off a 26 private owned boat. 1st site was the Petes Tide. Upon arrival two flying fish were strirred up and soared away. Upon splash down I saw a few small jellies but we werent bothered as we descended. Vis was around 60'. i was pleased. we saw several ramora, small cuda, some sort of angel type fish, a rather large headed fish that reminded me of the little rock fish, some decent reds, gray snapper, amberjack, a sea cuke and sea slug. (if anyone can help with IDing the unknowns please do). Max depth 105. thermocline around 40

Second Dive: Russian freighter:Vis dropped drastically to 20-30. Several nice sheephead were to be found along with some spades and some very large cuda 6' or so. I also saw a finger size fish with a gaftop fin. also saw some more of the dog/rock fish looking fish. Max depth was around 70-75.

The rockish looking big-headed fish is probably a toadfish.

Toadfish.jpg

What color was the angle-type fish?

What color was the gaftop finned fish?

Great report! :D

Toadfish it is. thanks the angel had purple and yellow on it. Gaftop hmm I should have written it down. wasnt more then two inches or so.

The angel could have been a queen angel, fairly common here.

What color was the gaftop?

Queen Angel it is. I dont know what color the little gaftop fish was. I dont recall. I was the only one that saw it so I cant ask my buddies. The Toadfish, is it the same fish that you see the little ones all over the rocks?

Nope, all over the rocks, are probably blennies of different types.

Blenny.jpg

There are different types of blennies common to this area, the above is just a closeup of one example.

Toadfish will hang out underneath the rocks and wreckage.

Queen angel on the Oops barge - we dove the Russian Freighter earlier that day and saw them there as well. Taken in January.

QueenOops.jpg

Back
Top Bottom