Buying BCs and regs soon, opinions on our selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have been certified for about 1.5 years, and my wife and I are finally buying our own BCs and regs. We each have 26 logged dives, both reef and wreck, down to 125 feet. We dive in the warmer, clearer waters of the Gulf of Mexico up to cooler waters as far north as Virginia. We are both IANTD Nitrox certified. We will soon be completing our SSI AOW certs.

I have been researching equipment for quite some time, comparing technical specs. We have selected and will be purchasing very soon the following equipment, and would like personal comments from those who own or have extended experience with the same.

Scubapro MK25/S555 regulators for both of us.
Seaquest Pro XLT BC with Air Source for me.
Seaquest Diva LX BC with Air Source for my wife.

Positive and negative responses welcomed and appreciated.

i have had a seaquest pro qd for a little over two years and i think its great, im not familiar with the xlt but im sure all of ther products are of equally good quality.
my wife has the same bc as me and she prefers it over the diva, for some reason she says the diva is not as comfortable, the detachable and swivaling buckles on the shoulder strap are what i like the most about my bc

Recommend Zeagle all the way!

What's your BUDGET ? The price you are paying will determine what kind of BANG you are getting for your BUCK .... All the equipment you have listed is good equipment. If it fits and you are happy with it .... GREAT ... now stop asking so many questions and go get wet >>>>

I agree with ScubaPro50....the stuff you listed is good stuff. If it all fits perfectly and is comfortable, then buy it. They key is to make sure you try the BCs on prior to purchase, and as many other brands you can find.

I made the mistake of only trying the Diva prior to purchase and wound up e-baying it and after an exhaustive BC search, bought a Zeagle Zena less than a year later after realizing how badly the Diva fit me and how much I hated it. On the other hand, my husband tried on 3 BCs and the minute he slipped on his SeaQuest ProQD, he knew exactly what he wanted and has been happy since. :)

Also make sure that you want the AirSource feature and are familiar with how it works for OOA incidences. A lot of folks on this board feel strongly about them. I have no personal experience one way or another with that, so can't comment.

Good luck and enjoy your new gear! :D

Thanks for the replies so far. Just wanted to add that we have tried on the BCs at the LDS. We both feel that they fit well. When we purchase, we will put them on again, with all gear, in the LDS indoor pool, and get the weights set right, and since both BCs are adjustable, we'll have them adjusted for fit. Then we'll go down to 15 feet in the pool and use everything, practice removing and putting on the BCs, practice OOA procedures using the Air Source, the whole nine yards. This way, we know they'll work in open water. If we find problems, we'll take care of it on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom