Biloxi/Gulfport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGonTheWay

Reaction score
I go to Gulfport each month for a fri-sun stay for my Coast guard drill. Does anyone on this board live/dive that area? i would be interested in hooking up and squeezing in some dives if there are any in the area. I will be there the 18-20th of this month. I would love to have to pack up some additional gear. Let me know. Please let me know.

There was a boat, I think called the "Scooby-Doo", that used to run out of that area(maybe Pascagoula)? Typically hit the oil rigs, lots of fish, can be great dives.

I'm in Pass Christian, behind the Wal-Mart wreckage. Not much local diving going on commercially. A few private boats are doing wonders on the snapper population since 90%+ of the commercial fishing boats were destroyed by Katrina.

FT

I am more looking for shore dives, jetties, bridges, or hooking up with a local. Myself and a friend at my unit are divers looking to get wet on drill weekends

Your in Summerdale... you should be staying wet here!!!! Do I know you? I'm in Loxley. Who do you dive with here?

I plan to stay wet here as well but would like to take advantage of my free time there as well. you dont know me yet. I currently have only dove with a brandy new diver who has a boat. but I expect that I will meet some of you in the near future. I am going out to meet and greet some realtors for work tomorrow and wanted to see if I could hook up with any of you just to put a face to a name.

I don't know of any shore dives in So MS. Maybe some lakes in central/north MS...?

I'd stay out of the water west of Biloxi bay unless wearing a dry suit. We had several thousand houses ripped out of the ground by the roots. This tended to destroy the undergroud utilities. I expect thousands of little leaks in the sanitary system distributed all over the coast south of the tracks. Sewage treatment is a bit iffy at best right now, with what leaks out of the pipes rather quickly making it through the sand beds to the beach springs.

The water is fine farther out, as is the beach itself. I'd just try and stay dry there for a another year or two. If you can make it to Ship Island the water and snorkeling out there is fine.

FT

FredT:
I'd stay out of the water west of Biloxi bay unless wearing a dry suit. We had several thousand houses ripped out of the ground by the roots. This tended to destroy the undergroud utilities. I expect thousands of little leaks in the sanitary system distributed all over the coast south of the tracks. Sewage treatment is a bit iffy at best right now, with what leaks out of the pipes rather quickly making it through the sand beds to the beach springs.

The water is fine farther out, as is the beach itself. I'd just try and stay dry there for a another year or two. If you can make it to Ship Island the water and snorkeling out there is fine.

FT
Even before Katrina, the slit and mud from the MS river did not promote shore or jetty diving, else I would have done it. I was a year at Camp Shelby and drove to Orange beach and Destin to dive with SBM and others. If you can get out to Ship Island, try and dive there. One of the guys in my outfit was a member of the Ocean Springs fire and rescue and they did all of their training dives out past the barrier islands. Good luck and thanks for serving!
Howard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom