first saltwater dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanick

Contributor
Reaction score
well i just got back from myrtle beach today...me and 3 other buddies went out with
coastal scuba to barracuda alley. this is the first time me and my brother
have dove in salt water. It was a good day they said vis was suppose to be like 40 feet but in reality turnt out to be like 18-20 still not bad i thought.
Now i have never been out in the ocean on a boat before..so i was cautious of getting sea sick..and i had good reason to be..by the time the boat stopped i was ready to get in the water. If i had gotten in 5 mins later..i woulda lost my breakfast... i was hoping to see more barracudas than i did. i only saw like 2 the whole dive. My brother and another one of our buddies saw like 5 or 6 they said, and my brother actually saw about a 3-4 foot shark which i hoped to see and missed.
i gota a question here...do any of your folks take anything b4 goin out to sea to keep
from getting sick and if so what...
even though i didn't lose my breakfast...my brother and one of my other buddies
didn't fair so well..hahah
funny my brother was trying to jump off the side of the boat before he threw up
and was like vomiting in mid-air as he jumped from the side of the boat
anyways...fun time it was...will go again soon. probably another site this time

Nick-

I guess we have some things in common. Earlier this year, in March, my dad and I went out with Coastal Scuba to Cuda Alley but were redirected to the Sherman due to conditions at the other site. The waves were small but choppy and I heaved over the side - I had made the HUGE mistake of leaving that morning for the boat on an empty stomach. Glad you held your breakfast though.

That dive charter was only the second time I've ever gotten seasick. The other time was during some training while I was at the Naval Academy, on a wooden hulled hellhole called a "Yard Patrol Craft." I had taken some Meclinzine before going on watch, but got sick while minding the helm in the middle of the night while taking 20 degree rolls... wasn't alot of fun tasting the Meclizine on the way up as I heaved over the port side of the bridge. That said, I never took Meclinzine again, but during the rest of my times underway I've munched on saltines and felt pretty good.

Saltines are good. Also, if you're fortunate enough to be outside on the boat, try looking at the horizon and breathing deep. That helps too.

-Nick

Take dramamine..

A buddy at work spends a lot of time on the water fishing. He knows I dive and so we were talking about sea-sickness the other day. He told me about an episode of Myth-Busters where they tried to test what does and doesn't work. Turns out (at least for them) that ginger (yes, the spice made from ginger root) worked better than anything else they tried. His wife, who gets car sick tried it on their next trip with great results. They used ginger pills you can get at any health-food store. She said it gave her a little heart-burn, but that it was a whole lot better than being motion-sick.

-Ben M.

we started to go to the sherman but not much left there to see
so we opted for barracuda alley

from hilton head...hmm bout a 100 miles..im in norway sc
a guy on the boat said take bonine..but i couldn't remember what it
was called until i saw ur reply

ill have to check that out and the ginger pills Airsix mentioned

Cool man, if your interested in diving down here just pm when your in the area. We go out all the time, and we are always looking to meet new divers.

Great! Glad you made it to the salt. Be careful, this stuff corrodes your gear :D . Better do some of that mud diving at Lake Thurmond or Murray to wash it off. I'm off to Hilton Head in September and will try to set up some diving with Marusso. I've dove many times out of Savannah and Beaufort. Nice diving (but you need to plan for seas). A breakfast tip for rough water diving - fruit loops - at least it will be colorful :D A bouyancy course (pvc swim throughs) are now in place off the second rope on the tail of the plane at Lake Thurmond. River has been good of late in between the rain (needs a few days to clear). Safe diving.

scubanick:
well i just got back from myrtle beach today...me and 3 other buddies went out with
coastal scuba to barracuda alley. this is the first time me and my brother
have dove in salt water. It was a good day they said vis was suppose to be like 40 feet but in reality turnt out to be like 18-20 still not bad i thought.
Now i have never been out in the ocean on a boat before..so i was cautious of getting sea sick..and i had good reason to be..by the time the boat stopped i was ready to get in the water. If i had gotten in 5 mins later..i woulda lost my breakfast... i was hoping to see more barracudas than i did. i only saw like 2 the whole dive. My brother and another one of our buddies saw like 5 or 6 they said, and my brother actually saw about a 3-4 foot shark which i hoped to see and missed.
i gota a question here...do any of your folks take anything b4 goin out to sea to keep
from getting sick and if so what...
even though i didn't lose my breakfast...my brother and one of my other buddies
didn't fair so well..hahah
funny my brother was trying to jump off the side of the boat before he threw up
and was like vomiting in mid-air as he jumped from the side of the boat
anyways...fun time it was...will go again soon. probably another site this time

Triptone... (the nite before, and the day of the trip)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom