Looking for advise on BB&W purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I dive with my own Pressed Steel HP120 but must also be able to dive with rental aluminum 80s. I use a 7 mil semi-dry wetsuit for relatively cold water and a 2.5 mil for relatively warm. Currently using a SeaQuest Balance that I’m not unhappy with, I just want more flexibility.

Hope to get a wetsuit next year to dive in Lake Superior.

With the HP120, 7 mil, in fresh water I use 26 pounds of weight.
With the HP120, 2.5 mil, in salt water I have also been using 26 pounds of weight.

So I think SS backplate is the way to go, as I can drop 6 pounds to compensate.

The following is what I think I need/want, any advice is appreciated:

*36 lbs. Pioneer MC System with stainless steel backplate Single tank wing, backplate with Secure Harness and Storage Pak, integrated single tank mounting system

*Adjustable crotch strap w/ front and rear D-Rings

*20 lbs. Active Control Ballast System, 10 pounds per side

*Knife Pocket

*Trim Weight Pockets (pair, 5lbs. max each)

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike

You may not need the trim weights. There was a discussion of their usefulness here within the last couple weeks which you might find interesting. I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Edited to add: here ya go

Otherwise, your list sounds fine.

Somewhere I saw a post that the capacity of the ACB was 10# per side only when using a single 10# weight. two 5#'s would not fit. Check it out.

As for trim pockets, you might not need them with a SS BP. I suspect most divers are using them with softpacks/plastic hardpacks to get the same effect on trim as a SS BP. OTOH are you trying to put 10# in trim pockets, 6# in the BP and leave only 10# total for the ACB? That might work, or it might leave you top heavy and prone to tip over on your back with the steel 120. Just a thought...

a heavy SS plate from fredt and lose some more weight from your waist. It would also give you more room in the acb to fit the weights.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom