Trying out BP/Wings ... $50/person reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PnL

Reaction score
There's a LDS (SoCal) that wants $50/person to try a Halcyon Pioneer 36# setup in their pool, including instructor's time. Is this reasonable? For both my wife and I that means $100 to try out the system. They will, if we purchase the systems from them, apply 50% of that ($50) towards the purchase. It seems a bit high just to try the BP/wings - but I'm not sure.

Fifth D told us that they would hook us up with some DIR folks that will set up the rig for us properly out here so we can try it. I don't know if there's a cost involved with it, however. EE told us that they will 'rent' the system to us but not sure how much.

At this point my wife and I would just like to try the BP/Wings before investing in it. We definitely want back-inflate as we both dislike the jacket style BC's and with so much info about BP/wings on this board, it only seems wise to give them a try.

What would you do?

What's the instructor's background? Are they, I dunno, say GUE trained, or just a recreational instructor they're going to give the task to? $100 for a quality instructor's time and effort in getting you and your wife properly fitted in a harness might be the bargain of the century. Especially if you purchase from there and they repeat the process getting you fitted in your own new harnesses.

$25.00, no instructor, 100% credit toward purchase for 2 weeks. He ought to realize you are serious and if he doesn't take it he loses the sale.

Then again, how badly do you want to try it and how much is it worth to you? It would not be worth $50.00 to me.

What I did (sort of by accident) was take a DIR-Fundamentals class out of 5th-D in Seattle. I realized that setting up a BP/Wings for the very first time was not totally simple, and I wasn't (yet) convinced I was ready to make the plunge, so Nick (2 5th-D) convinced me to take the DIR-F course. It was quite a trip, driving 900 miles one-way for a 3-day class, but the guys at 5th-D provided all of the equipment for my wife and I, and after taking the course (*HIGHLY* recommended!), I ended up buying a 36# Pioneer setup for myself.

Because of the class, my wife and felt compelled to completely re-examine our diving style/habits, and now have moved toward diving with a mostly DIR configuration and diving style. She's now diving a BP/Wings and we recently sold her old BC on E-Bay, and she wouldn't dive anything but a BP/Wings. (We recently got back from Cozumel, and aside from tightening up the straps, we dove the exact same setup there as we use her in our drysuits.)

Now, none of this really answers your question, but I will state that setting up a BP/Wings is not *difficult*, but unless you have someone show you how to set it up, it's not as easy as it could be. Fit is everything, and even though you could probably get it working, it wouldn't be optimal and you may not have a good experience with it unless you have it properly fitted.

If it were me, I'd try to see if I could find some DIR divers in your area that would take you out and let you try out the setup. Heck, if you were local I'd take you out, and I know a few folks in the Seattle area that are quite nice about that kind of thing as well (hi UP!).

Bottom line is that if you can't find anyone else willing to take you, I'd spend the $50/person for your local LDS to give it a shot in the pool. Having someone there to setup the fit will make all the difference in the world.

Nate

If you want I could come to you, or you to me and I can show you/set up my halcyon rig for you to try in a pool. No cost, maybe just some friendly conversation.:)

Mike

There’s a GUE instructor in SoCal named Mike Kane (AKA MHK) who has DIR demos quite often for free. Free equipment, free fitting and free coaching.

Here’s a sample post from the California Bulletin Board about the last “DIR Demo” he did: http://diver.net/bbs/messages/31962.shtml.

Send him an eMail and find out when he’s doing it again: mhkane@prodigy.net.

The $50 a diver with only 50% applied to purchase is highway robbery. Heck EE (http://www.extreme-exposure.com/page2.shtml) has a 30-day money back guarantee. You could order all your stuff, try it out and if you didn’t like it send it back for a full refund except shipping. You’d STILL come out way ahead than the local LDS that’s trying to separate you from your money.

That said, I’d still go the MHK route and have someone there to help setup your kit to make sure you got it right.

Roak

The shop is Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro - I've never been there but they are listed on the Halcyon site as a retailer. My assumption is that they know/understand the Halcyon system but I don't know for sure. They are about an hour away from where we live. The fact that they have a pool so we can try it there is really appealing as well.

One of the things that was recommended to us was to take the DIR-F class to learn the equipment/philosphies of DIR method, but my wife is way too busy for the next few months to take another class.

SPEEDSTER - That would be amazing if you could do that! I'll send you a PM .... we'll bring lots of friendly conversation with us :)

Have you thought about contacting Michael Kane. He does DIR demos in the southern Cali area I think. His e-mail is mhkane@prodigy.net. I don't know if he charges or not. But it would be worth asking him.

Roakey - thanks for the heads up on Mike Kane, I sent him an email.

[EDIT: and thanks to you too Wendy! :wink:]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom