Hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hose routing for those who breath the long hose

I run mine off the left post so if my valve handle roles off i know it right away. 7' hose routed around my right side down under my light canister [or if i am not using the light under a pouch i use] then up and around my neck. there is the issue of the deco bottle mounted to my right side, but I have found that the hose pulls out allmost all the way. by uncliping my deco bottle and thenm recliping it under the extended hose adds about 6" to the length. one reason i choose the 7' hose.

I run my secondary from my right post over my shoulder. straped around my neck with shock cord fairly close to my chin.

My pressure gauge is run from my left post. it is straped to my inflater hose with bike tire intertube, then under my arm and atached to the end of my inflator hose.

I use a double bladder, so I run an inflation hose one from each post. both routed under my arms and towards my chest.

Drysuit inflation is from an argon bottle seperatly mounted.

my rig has a chest strap that goes across the two shoulder straps. in the middle of that chest strap I have placed a ring [sort of a large key ring about an 1-1/2" in diameters

To this I clip both inflator hoses with dog clips, I also have my knife/line cutter atached to this same chest strap.

well that is all I can think of for my hose routing, it works for me, is very stream line, and everything is reachable above my waist

I like the right post for the 7' hose. My reasoning is that if in an actual air sharing situation in single file, should there be a rolloff I'd want to be the one who finds out, not my OOA buddy.
Rick

I am just now assembling my doubles rig, but I will route my primary on the right for the reasons that Rick outlined.

Chad

I figured a solution to this while practicing once and having his air turned off while sharing with my ooa buddy in a restriction [well big restriction. in otherwords he was breathing off my long hose, and swimming out in front of me and my buddy behind me turned off my left post, his air.

What i learned from this was it is nice to be able to read your pressure gauge without using your hands to see it, second if in an air sharing situation and by monitoring my pressure gauge as well, i can see if the needle starts to fluctuate, this being a sign that the valve has been turned down but not off or if it is at zero and I am still breathing then it has completly roled off, and i reach back and turn it on

I can now have one hand on the line and another hand on my buddy maintaining feel comunications and contact and look down and see my pressure gauge

for the reasons mentioned.

Aquatec,

have you done a lights out ( silt out ) air
share drill? Your visual check of your
SPG won't be effective then.

Kell

Also AquaTec's solution increases task loading (having to manually keep checking the SPG) at the worst of all possible times, when you're already task loaded with an OOA situation.

If the task loading becomes severe, manual operations such as checking your SPG will be the first to go.

To use computer lingo, having the *backup* on the left post makes a roll off a interrupt driven process -- you need do nothing unless you get interrupted (your breathing becomes difficult). Having the *primary* (the donated reg) on the left post makes this a polled process -- you have to keep checking your SPG. This takes up more cycles right at the time where you need all the cycles you can get (an OOA situation).

Long hose on left post -- A very, very bad idea.

Roak

Ps. This deceased equine has already been flogged in the following notes:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t9920/s.html and
http://www.scubaboard.com/t11181/s.html

kcanty once bubbled...
for the reasons mentioned.

Aquatec,

have you done a lights out ( silt out ) air
share drill? Your visual check of your
SPG won't be effective then.

Kell

this has nothing to do with silt out light out. in a silt out light out you are the same no matter which post your reg is mounted on.

it is by touch and feel.

and the added work load is a simple glance nothing more than that. plus i am going with the precentages here.

there is a higher likely hood of my left post rolling off than there is of me being in an air share situation and then having it happen.
yes i do check the valve periodicly. but it could role seconds after i check.

i would hate to hand off my long hose and go to my reserve and find it with no air, this seems to add more task loading and stress right at the critical moment of handing off your hose to an out of air diver. either he needs to wait till i turn my air on and then pass him my hose or i pass it to him and i have no air until i turn my air back on.

as for your PS i am just rehashing, to keep things interesting. a new thread can bring up new ideas. i don't have to go to a stale dated thread to find an old solution. i am looking for new input from the people who are here now

Rarely does someone show such inconsistent logic so close together...

First AquaTec states:
AquaTec once bubbled...
...second if in an air sharing situation and by monitoring my pressure gauge as well, i can see if the needle starts to fluctuate, this being a sign that the valve has been turned down but not off or if it is at zero and I am still breathing then it has completly roled off, and i reach back and turn it on
Then, in the very next reply:
AquaTec once bubbled...
this has nothing to do with silt out light out. in a silt out light out you are the same no matter which post your reg is mounted on.

it is by touch and feel.
And there's where your reasoning if flawed.

Your solution requires a visual cue, the SPG fluctuating, you said so yourself. Now you're turning around and acknowledging that in a silt out everything is by touch and feel.

So it looks like you have one of three solutions:

1) Get a Braille SPG.
2) Expect your buddy, OOA for the SECOND time to turn around in a silt out, making it worse and somehow communicate to you that he's OOA again (and probably drown in the process, but that's OK, YOU have air) or
3) See the error of your ways and fix a real sucky (no pun intended) configuration.

Even in a silt out if your backup is on the left post, where it's supposed to be, a roll off IS by touch and feel. You feel the difficulty breathing and you touch and turn back on your left post.

Roak

Roakey~

Does no good, to try with some people.
As you said this has been beat to death. And some people if they would read the stuff they are typing, they would realize that this makes no sense!

Some people can have all the experiance in the world and still the simplest things are beyond them.

I wonder if he has problems finding buddies? Since he is obviously out for himself!!

ok i missed your point of the silt out situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom