How do you choose a regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This isn't another "which regulator should I buy?" post, but more of a question about how to go about choosing the right regulator for me.

Where can I go to compare features, reliability, satisfaction, etc? How can I find information about the features that are important to the type of diving I do?

With so many to choose from and all the advertising hype, it is tough. What process do you go through to choose a regulator before you buy it?

Thanks!

It depends on your diving goals. Deep or cold? Is top performance a major concern or price?

Artimas:
This isn't another "which regulator should I buy?" post, but more of a question about how to go about choosing the right regulator for me.

Where can I go to compare features, reliability, satisfaction, etc? How can I find information about the features that are important to the type of diving I do?

With so many to choose from and all the advertising hype, it is tough. What process do you go through to choose a regulator before you buy it?

Thanks!

Step 1. Define the type of diving you want to do (depth, temperature, environment)

Step 2. Find divers doing those kinds of dives

Step 3. Ask them what kind of regulators they use and why

Step 4. Find out what you can get serviced locally and competently

Step 5. Ignore all that advice and buy an an Apeks or ScubaPro with a sealed first stage. :)

Hey Perrone, I thought you used Dive Rite...

I find it hard to get an idea of the right reg to buy for me by discussing it here. There are so many people happy with so many products here that a majority or concensus is virtually impossible. For everyone that likes ScubaPro here, there are equal amounts like like Apeks, Aqualung, Atomic, etc.

For me, a lot of gear purchases revolve around my relationship with my LDS. They know the local conditions. They are the ones that are going to be supporting the product and servicing the reg when the time comes, so their input is valuable to me. We are fortunate to have some really good and knowledgeable ones in Dallas (Scuba Toys, Surface Interval, etc.) I like to go and talk to the people that service the regs there and get their advice. There are some really interesting things to be learned by doing this. I also talk to the divemasters and instructors that dive the gear and get their input.

Then I take that info and look at some of the shootouts in the scuba magazines. Usually that just solidifies what I have already learned. Based on doing those things, I can pretty quickly get a good idea of the regs that are right for me.

TheRedHead:
Hey Perrone, I thought you used Dive Rite...

I KNOW! They are shiny black and red though! How can you not love that? :D

PerroneFord:
I KNOW! They are shiny black and red though! How can you not love that? :D

I borrowed one for a deco bottle and it was sweet. :D

The first thing I would suggest when trying to decide on any piece of gear (scuba, home theatre, car, tuba, whatever) is to never ask for anyone's opinion on a forum. I love SB and the other forums I read, but to be completely honest I get more confused after reading a whole thread, there will never be any true consensus and everyone will have great arguments as to why what they use is better than what they don't use. Of course for entertainment its pretty high in the cost to fun ratio, so its still fun to read all these things.

Now to an actually useful idea... okay still thinking, wait for it.... ummm.... Does anyone know where DA is? No wait, I mean I have a helpful suggestion... really I do, dammit get DA on the phone and quick....

There are a lot of great regs on the market, but the most important thing a reg can give you (okay the second, the first being some useful to breathe) is confidence. If you are confident in your gear, your choices, your lds and yourself, then you are going to come back alive everytime (till you don't, but then that doesn't count does it, since its the last time anyway.)

If your name happens to be say, Scott, Susan, Sam, or Zipps, Zach, or Zena, then the choice is easy.

You can go with Navy Class A regs and be assured they work to 198 feet. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom