Apollo Bio-Filter Moisture System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all,
have anyone used this gizmo (see the title)? i first saw the add in the Scuba diving magazine, got curious and read about it from the manufacturer's point of view. As always, sounds good but I'd like to get opinions from those of you who actually used it. i guess, the most important question - does it somehow interfere with the breathing? is it harder to breath with the filter?

here is a site (not the manufacturer's but they copy and paste so the same thing)

http://www.sharpdiver.com/product_info.php/products_id/138?osCsid=d0cc6a6a007

thank you

I use it. I like it. It does not interfere with breathing in any way that I can tell. I usually take a breath or two off my octo, which is not connected to the bio filter, on each dive and there is no appreciable difference in difficulty. Does it work? I occasionally have dove without wetting the filter and I think my mouth is a bit more dry at the end of the dive than when the filter is wet, as it should be. Whether it is wet or dry, I come up with "dry mouth" it is just a question of degree.

TD2

You won't notice it breathing. If you suffer from drymouth, it's invaluable. I used one for a couple years until I settled on two places here that pump good stuff consistently. Then I eBayed it for pretty much what I paid for it.

When using it is there any concern with the moisture in the internal workings of the 2nd stage... Remember the old "never press your purge button when rinsing your second stage while not charged with air or you will damage it"???

There is never a concern about moisture in the inner workings of your second stage. The reason you don't push your purge button when washing your gear is to avoid allowing moisture up the hose and into your 1st stage. This unit being a "one way" check valve won't allow the moisture from the sponge back into your first stage.

I've used one on many occasions and don't really notice a huge need for it on a single day's diving. Toward the end of the 2nd dive I start thinking it might be nice to have, but it really shines when I'm out on a week's diving on some trip or other. Into the 2nd day it gets very noticable having the moistened air and by the end of the week the lack of that dry scratchy throat is a very welcome thing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom