Scubalab Reviews - Help me narrow it down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
The three that I am interested in are XS Scuba seaair tri-metal, tusa rs-460, and the oceanic alpha 8/sport. All of these are very favorable on scubalabs. I know that the oceanic is completely unbalanced, the tusa is only balanced on the 1st stage, and the tri-metal is completely balanced. Price is not an issue. Maybe you could mention what you DON'T like about any of these regs, or problems that you have had with any of these regs. I will be buying tomorrow. Thanks!

The RS 460 is essentially identical to the Scubapro Mk 16 R390. It's a solid performing regulator.

Find a GT3 w/ CDX5. Not in the magazine but at the price some are out there (discontinued model without DVT), there is no better reg deal going.

Best,

Vhris

cerich:
Find a GT3 w/ CDX5.

My GF was looking at the Alpha 8, but went with the GT3 just a couple of weeks ago. Very similarly priced to the Alpha 8 and a nicer setup, imo. She loves it. I also dive virtually the same setup and really like it as well.

I am new also to the board but am looking at buying a regulator. I read the reviews and I've been trying to come up with a reason to NOT buy the Alpha 8 Sport but I can't.

Since I can't try out one from column A, one from column B, etc., I give weight to the reviews since I believe them to be unbiased.

As of now I am researching the best price from an authorized dealer.

Mike

My first reg was a Tusa RS-230. Basically it's a Scuba pro design... It served me well for about 3 years without a prob. The only gripe was below 100ft it wouldn't breathe as smooth. Not a huge difference mind you, but you could tell.

I since bought an Atomic B2 and will probably never switch. The engineering behind their regs is hard to beat and they are consistently at the top of the list when being tested against other regs. They are on the expensive side, but if price isn't an issue… take a good look at them. Personally, a reg is life support, and this is one area where I'll spend the money for good quality.

The Oceanic Alpha got the best review of "high end" regulators...and it's not considered "high end"...on Divernet.com

Makes one think what all the fuss is about regulators-and that's from a guy who has a Poseidon Cyclon 5000, Poseidon Jetstream and an Apeks TX50.

Personally, I wish divers would invest a little more on training and little less on flashy equipment.

A reason not to buy Alpha 8 may be the good price on a "last year's model" Oceanic Alpha 7. These are very similar. Oceanic has engineered these regulators to provide top performance using a minimum of parts. That's not the same as making something cheap. They give an easy and natural breathe. My daughter and I have a combined 130 dives on ours, and all has been excellent. They are rugged, with a light and comfortable second stage. We have seen no corrosion, cracking, or signs of weakness or wear. This is a quality item that, like Buff says, performs on a level with the most expensive. I got mine from Diver's direct in Orlando. Happy shopping!

I found out from my new LDS that I can rent the entire setup that I am interested in buying, which they are selling as a package deal. That includes the Alpha 8 Sport regulator, so I will be able to "test drive" the entire setup - regulator, octo, gauges, BC...

That's the benefit of working with your LDS...in this case - Lehigh Valley Dive Center in PA. This dive shop is only 1 mile from Dutch Springs!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom