taking gauges on planes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finfin

Registered
Reaction score
Hello , I wonder if somebody knows if by putting my dive gear in the cargo hold on a Commercial airliner ,will damage my HP gauge, or the pressure sensor on my Suunto Vyper. Or if I remove those two, and carry them as hand luggage , will the cabbin, pressurization screw with them..Just a thought?
Please advise if this is valid question.
Thanks, Peter

There is no problem with putting your gear on a commmercial plane in the cargo. We do it all the time. However you may want to carry your dive computer on as carry on. While the decreased pressure is minimal it has been shown on occasion to damage pressure transducers. This does not happen however with Cochran computers, they are designed to record altitude excursions.

Good luck

thank you for your input...I appreciate it.
So the HP gauge is fine below?

I don't think we can take our computers (or any electronics) as carry-on's for the next few months thanks to the recent terror scare in the United Kingdom.

NEVERMIND... i just checked it out and they are still letting computers and electronics on as carry-on's, but I wouldn't be surprised if this changes in the next few weeks.

I don't think putting your sensitive gear ('puters/SPGs/regs/cameras, etc.) in cargo is a pressure issue as much as a handling issue...

Got back from a Bahamas trip a few weeks ago (I carry-on everything hose attached, and my camera, and check the rest), and two of our checked bags, including an Akona gear bag with suits, fins, masks, snorkels, bcd's, etc., had the living crap beaten out of them. The security sleeve was torn up on the gear bag, and the other one looked like it had been run over (actually had tire tread marks on it).

Nothing pressure-wise compares to what the handlers can do to those bags. ALWAYS carry on your electronics and regs... If they change the rules, I'm investing in a Pelican hard-case.

Handling, ha - waiting for a flight a few days ago I watched them loading mail bins. One got stuck going up the conveyor, others piled up behind it, then they all started falling off the sides. The 2 luggage gorillas stood there chatting not looking at all. Eventually they noticed all the stuff was on the ground and loaded it again.

Think the airlines could solve the problems of checked luggage getting trashed/ransacked/lost if they really made it a priority? It's certainly something I'm willing to pay a little more for.

Always carry my regs and computer on board in a scuba toys reg bag. Check everything else.

Damselfish:
Handling, ha - waiting for a flight a few days ago I watched them loading mail bins. One got stuck going up the conveyor, others piled up behind it, then they all started falling off the sides. The 2 luggage gorillas stood there chatting not looking at all. Eventually they noticed all the stuff was on the ground and loaded it again.

Think the airlines could solve the problems of checked luggage getting trashed/ransacked/lost if they really made it a priority? It's certainly something I'm willing to pay a little more for.

Pay extra for luggage to arrive reliably, safely, in tact, and not ransacked by the gorillas? Isn't that what we're already supposed to be paying for?

It is not the airline but the airport that is responsible for bagage handlers.
Up until now I have always taken my dive gear and camera as carry on, I am not sure that will be possible with the changes that are happening in UK security.
I will have to phone the airline a little closer to time and see what they say.

The airlines have washed their hands of it by limiting the damage and theft claims in checked luggage. Convenient!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom