DIR and NE Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I have a question... From all I've been readingf about DIR it seems like it's set up primarily for cave diving. what types of mods are made if mosrt of your diving is in wreck diving in the north east? Sorry if this was already discussed. I'm trying to set up my gear more streamlined and any help will be appreciated.
Thanx
Joey

Great Question

Where do you put the crow bar?
Where do you put the lobsters for post dive deco dinner?

I use slightly larger bolt snaps to accommodate heavy gloves.

Other than that, nothing immediately comes to mind. Then again, I don't dive in caves.

SO you dive DIR? DO you need a 7' primary hose, or is that just for passing yor rig thru a tight squeeze in a cave?

taat2d once bubbled...
SO you dive DIR? DO you need a 7' primary hose, or is that just for passing yor rig thru a tight squeeze in a cave?

**Keep in mund, I am a cave diver, and not a wreck diver**

Anyway, I would say keep the 7 foot hose. If you are doing wreck penetration, the "tunnels" in the wreck can be just as small as the restrictions in a cave. The seven foo hose also helps a lot in o/w type air sharing as it makes it easier for each diver to control their own bouyancy without being in each others face.

I'm not DIR but i do use a 7ft primary. Even in open water this makes any air sharing far simpler and might allow your buddy a chance to fix the problem that caused the OOA.

I use larger Bolt Snaps when diving up here in MA. I still use the 7 foot hose in cold water. The rig is the same as if I was in a cave.

Eric

taat2d once bubbled...
I have a question... From all I've been readingf about DIR it seems like it's set up primarily for cave diving. what types of mods are made if mosrt of your diving is in wreck diving in the north east? Sorry if this was already discussed. I'm trying to set up my gear more streamlined and any help will be appreciated.
Thanx
Joey

Joey,

From recreational diving to wreck diving to cave diving-you need not modify your rig at all. That's the simplicity behind DIR-get used to your rig and dive it whereever you're trained. And your buddy's got the same rig and mindset. Everyone's on the same page.

taat2d once bubbled...

The 7' hose is used for OOA situations because sometimes divers have to follow one right after the other to get thru some areas of the cave. I could see how the same situation could occur in a wreck that has narrow passage ways.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom