What to do - or buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working2Hd

Registered
Reaction score
"I'm so Dizzy my head is Spining"

wow! I thought I knew what I wanted but now----

Ok here's the deal. I'm a newly certified diver. Have just bought all new equipment and when I bought I ended up with a Uwatec Aladin Prime computer in a console with the SPG and compass.

I plan on diving about 3 - 4 times a year getting anywhere from 6-8 to 17-25 dives in per trip (best guess). I'm going to Little Cayman in about a month and a half for my first "real" dive trip (not on the family vacation) and have 17 dives planned. That's where I came up with the numbers.

my problem / question:
I thought I wanted a second computer for backup and I definately want a wrist mount. Maybe it's just my eyes but I wanted something with a little larger display (easier to read than the Prime). I THOUGHT I wanted a Suunto Gekko (or at least a Suunto product) due to the display size but I have read about a thousand threads and it seems that:
1. I should look at getting something that has the same algorithm
2. That Suunto may be a little too conservative

Since I have already spent money and now want to buy again I want to make sure I have as much input as I can get and this surely seems to be the place to get it. I am NOT opposed to buying an entirely new unit and a backup wrist unit because I can and probably will, pass this Uwatec on to my son who I hope is going to get certified here in the next year or so before our next family vacation (or I'll sell it on Ebay or somewhere to recover the cost) if needed.

After reading until my eyes are bleeding I definately DO NOT want to be the first to HAVE to come up because from what my instructor has told me and from my previous dives I DO NOT use my air up very fast.

There you go. Want a nice big, easy to read display, easy to use wrist mount computer.

What can you all tell me and what do you think I should do from here?

Thanks.

Get the new Oceanic VT3 . The display is great. Plus, if you are going to get your son certified, you will be able to put transmitter on his tank and check his tank pressure from your computer. It is a great computer, and the display is big and easier to read.

Working2Hd,

Here's the easy answer, but probably not the one you want to hear.

Right now you are at the excited to go dive point and want to buy all the gear in the world. All of us have gone through that point. We also all have our oppinion on what is the best gear, we even agree sometimes. LOL

You already have good gear and considering the type of diving you are planning to do, you don't need another computer.

Consider this. It is highly doubtful you'll be off diving by yourself, at least not for forseeable future. At a minimum, you'll have a buddy. You are doing purely recreational diving.

Rule of thumb for safety on recreational diving is that when any primary piece of gear fails, the dive is over. That means it's time to notify your buddy and thumb the dive.

You have an SPG so you know how much air/gas you have. You get with your buddy and ascend using their guages/computer.

Save your money, go have some fun, and practice what you've already learned.

Back
Top Bottom