Alkin Compressors and AireTex Comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdavid66

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have done all the research and am strongly considering buying a w31 electric Alkin compressor with auto drains from AireTex in Texas. I have not been able to find anyone that can say a bad thing about it.

I think I have established that AireTex is a good company to deal with. But I am still looking for comments about the Alkin compressor head itself.

I am looking for comments from people that own an Alkin compressor; both good and bad. Any experiances with any Alkin compressors are appreciated.

I am also interested in any comments on the reliabilty of the condensate autodrain system.

Thanks
Dave

I ahve the portable gas engine model which is set to pump to 4500 psi. I like it but have not used it enough to have any problems with it. The AireTex folks were really great to deal with.

If you order that compressor, request a back pressure valve. In the past, there have been complaints on this board concerning wet fills from the Alkin. The valve will help prevent that problem. Hopefully, it is now standard equipment.

pescador775:
If you order that compressor, request a back pressure valve. In the past, there have been complaints on this board concerning wet fills from the Alkin. The valve will help prevent that problem. Hopefully, it is now standard equipment.

I don't think it is a standard option yet.:huh:

While I sell a competitor to the Alkin, I really like the design of their compressor. It is the only small compressor designed for constant run. But, I think that they put out wet air because of the placement of their moisture separator (along with not having a back pressure valve). The separator was installed between the second and third stage. While interstage separators are great, THAT WAS IT! Air goes right from the third stage to the desiccant/filter housing. If you are ordering a new machine, I would get the back pressure valve and a mechanical separator between the final stage and the filter housing.

Other than that, they re a great machine! Bruce does a great job down there in Texas and the new distributor in Canada/Washington is making some real inroads as well.

rcontrera:
I would get the back pressure valve and a mechanical separator between the final stage and the filter housing.

Is it possible and easy to add the back pressure valve and seprator after buying it?

Backpressure valve is extremely easy! Just put it inline between the filter housing and your fill hose. thry run about $75 plus whatever fittings you need. As far as installing a separator, that will require your bending a little of the tubing that goes into the filter housing and direct it into the separator housing. Then you will need to fashion a jumper from the separator to the filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom