Turtoga - broken back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrew Richardson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Turtoga BCD, bought from an Ontario Canada LDS in Feb '06. I dove four times in Barbados (OW cert Apr '06) and once in Tobermory (Jul '06). After the Tobermory dive, I was cleaning my gear and realized the backplate had snapped in half just above the tank strap.

I returned it to the LDS on Aug 3, who contacted the Sherwood rep on the phone while I was there.

I am waiting for a replacement and wondering how long this should take? I would really like to get in some more dives before the end of summer.

andrew.richardson@bmo.com
416-643-1669

OK - Sherwood have replaced the BC. Two weeks. I am pretty pleased with this.

Only snag - as soon as I got in the water, I went to test the right shoulder dump valve and the knob fell off. You can guess I was not impressed.

The other note - the LDS, for reasons I don't understand, seem to have wanted to hide that BC was new. They told me it was repaired and that they had pressure tested it except when I got home I found it had an instruction manual in the pocket. This was important to me because I am thinking of switching to harness. If I sell this BC it makes a big difference between if it has been repaired! Oh yeah, the BC did come with a low pressure hose (I did not need one since I had not returned it) but now I am wondering if Sherwood would have shipped the replacement with a hose? Yeah, I am wondering if this LDS pocketed a low pressure hose!

I guess the main points are:

Sherwood stood behind their gear and replaced it, fairly quickly (2 wks); and

I won't be going back to the LDS (its OK, I have another who is closer). I can't buy scuba gear if I don't fully trust the LDS!

That's b/s Sherwood does not stand by their equipment. Their bcd are crap.. do your self a favor and buy cressi, scubapro, but stay away from Sherwood.

Backplate is usually way stronger than needed. Can’t imagine myself surviving any destructive force powerful enough to break one! Was Sherwood cheaping out and using plastic or something?

Backplate is usually way stronger than needed. Can’t imagine myself surviving any destructive force powerful enough to break one! Was Sherwood cheaping out and using plastic or something?
Yes and they continue to use cheap plastic this problems has occurred to many divers using Sherwood bcd I have other bcd some as old as 35 plus years and never had problems with I even trust those old bcd by Cressi, aqualung, sea quest, dacor is has been part of mares for sone time now I even have mares and one scuba pro about 20 years I trust them enough to led them to my buddy who don’ t own any equipment. Some of the sea quest n mares lds won’t even service them I just keep them in a good environment with a little air was the throughly after use n they never had problems I can send you photos to proof it. The one I had problems with n I contacted Sherwood this month was put of the box and not even two dives with it n it broke I can up on my second dive n the dive master had to run towards me cause the top plastic strap holder broke upon inspecting it it had a workmanship defect n the bottom one was already cracking as well, was told by Sherwood since I did not have the receipt ( it was a gift) n I did not Regrister that they would not replace it but only have me go to a lds for a 20 percent discount on a new Sherwood with the same plastic tank holder I said no thanks am a military member n I don’t patronize company who charge a lot for their products that they don’t back n they use cheap materials and cheap manufacturing company , don’t get me wrong mist of my old bcd were probably manufactured in China but like I said they are in perfect working condition after many dives n low servicing on them. So please get the word out stay the heck away from Sherwood bcd . The rep from Sherwood stated that the plastic piece brake a lot on their bcd n the same was said at the lds they had me go to . This is a hazard for diver I don’t understand how are all was never done . Mares replaced a old bcd of mine when they recalled that bcd n I had it for about two years I never regrister that one yet mares replaced it with a better one weight integrated they even paid the postage when I sent the old one in. I don’t support companies who don’t stand by their products. Sorry for the long respond but am pissed off my military buddy spent his hard earned money on it. Iam going to try invent a back plate out of stainless steel and use it as a spare for when I dive the north east. If it don’t work I’ll salvage parts out .

Back
Top Bottom