difference of Atomic 1st and SP mk10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blacthorn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just wondering what the major differences between the Atomic first stage and specificly the Mk10 or other SP 1sts are. I am sure its only in looks, but they certainly look very similar, and you know how many lds will blow smoke in just about any direction, so I am wondering if there are any similarities.

The Atomic Aquatics first stages are based on the Scubapro piston first stage layout - Atomic Aquatics founders Dean Garraffa and Doug Toth were Scubapro designers. The Atomic first stages do have a number of different features (such as a "teflon impregnated" o-ring for the HP seal) and incorporate some different materials (such as Monel for the M1) from the Scubapro first stages but generally the design of the piston first stages from both brands are quite similar. The Scubapro MK V and 10 have slightly less parts than the current MK25 but the Atomic Aquatics design have the least parts (less than MK V).

Vie:
The Atomic Aquatics first stages are based on the Scubapro piston first stage layout - Atomic Aquatics founders Dean Garraffa and Doug Toth were Scubapro designers. The Atomic first stages do have a number of different features (such as a "teflon impregnated" o-ring for the HP seal) and incorporate some different materials (such as Monel for the M1) from the Scubapro first stages but generally the design of the piston first stages from both brands are quite similar. The Scubapro MK V and 10 have slightly less parts than the current MK25 but the Atomic Aquatics design have the least parts (less than MK V).

How do you get less parts than in a Mk5 in a turreted balanced piston? Does the Atomic 1st use the same HP seat as the MK5/10?

Yes...I am trying to see what you could leave out of a Mk 5 or Mk 10 to have fewer parts and still work.

The Mk 5 and 10 differ mainly in piston head diameter and the location of the piston in the reg body on the Mk 10 compared to in the swivel cap on the Mk 5.

DA Aquamaster:
Yes...I am trying to see what you could leave out of a Mk 5 or Mk 10 to have fewer parts and still work.

You and awap are absolutely right - I stand corrected.

The Atomic Aquatic has more parts (six or seven more, depending on whether the MK V is using the flat filter with o-ring or a conical filter) than the MK V - I got confused looking at the schematics. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom