Changing the HP hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BarryNL

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to put a longer HP hose on my regulator. Is there anything complex about this or is it just a matter of unscrewing the SPG from the current hose and putting it on a new one.

I'm fine changing out all the LP hoses but I've not done an HP hose yet and don't want to break anything...

Nope, nothing complicated.

Inside the hose, as it connects to the SPG, you'll find a little device that allows the SPG to spin. Shaped like a long skinny top with a pair of o-rings at each end.

Yes! when you separate the SPG from the HP hose, carefully separate the gauge and hose. You'll find what Halthron described to be called a Spool. Don't loose this part! It allows the SPG to rotate without loosing it's pressure seal. Before you install the SPG to the new HP hose, make sure all parts are clean! I make it a habit to put a light film of silicone grease to the two o-rings on the ends of the spool.

The spool can be a bit difficult to deal with if corrosion and deposits have started to form. If the spool can be removed easily, by hand, you should have no problem. If you have to use pliers, the spool will almost surely be a casualty. I often have to soak the problem connection to get the spool loose. Those are dynamic o-rings so you should consider replacing them (size -003) or at least re-lubing them before reuse.

Replacement spools are only about $4, so you might just as well order one with the new hose.

I'd put a low pressure hose on my regulator, myself, otherwise I think you'd find it rather difficult to breathe properly.

the K

lol, i think he means "first stage" by regulator

he's changing the SPG hose

Ah so . . .
I am in error, Sensei . . .

the K-ontrite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom