Should I buy it???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm kinda new to diving and I would like some personal opinions on this one...

I have an opportunity to purchase a Dacor Rig 2 BC and a Dacor Viper reg from an old college buddy. He says they're in excellent condition but he just doesn't have the time for it anymore. Are these good products?

S

The Rig 2 kinda scares me. It's wing is really, really big.. I think it was meant for doubles. It also has an absurd number of D-rings all over it.

The Viper is, IMO, a piece of junk. Rodale's even agrees. It's wet, hard to purge, and just not a good regulator at all. It would be best to save your money and buy some decent gear on eBay or Leisurepro or some such if you're going to go the cheap/used route.

I think it depends on the price. But you might consider that a rig 3 new goes for about half price, $360 from dealers trying to unload excess inventory on Ebay. For normal recreational diving, I would pass on the Rig.

You might take a look at the Zeagle Scout, about $215 from leisurepro, if they have your size.

The Viper is not the ultimate in regs, but if cheap enough it is better than renting.

Comments on this, due to the fact that I think DACOR is on it's way out and their gear is some of the junkiest on the market, and that wouldn't be fair.

oops!

As a point of reference, a reputable LDS here is selling year-old rental equipment with an Aqualung Titan and octo, Suunto Favor/SPG console, and a basic Seaquest BC for $600. They stand behind it as well.

By going through diveinn, you should be able to get a new Apeks ATX-50, ATX-40 for $370, or at an even lower price point, the Titan LX and an AquaLung octo for about $300. A basic computer can be had for under $200. Add $40-60 for an SPG. A basic Seaquest BC through Leisurepro is about $150. Not intended as recommendations really, but illustrative. Best part is you get to pick what you like, what fits, and what you trust.

Hoping not to torque anyone off....I would NEVER recommend buying life support gear from the web....only from a reputable lds. Many of the manufacturer's do not honor any warrantee if their gear is bought via the internet, and, a good deal of imitation knock-offs are starting to surface.

Im 52 and want to see 53. It might...might heck...def will...cost a buck or two more to buy from an lds, but, i will know the equipment is real, the warranty will be honored, and I will have someone to look in the eye if i have a problem with it.

As for fins, mask, yada yada none life support gear. Def the web. I was taken to the cleaners on my last mask by a Texas lds. I paid $100 for a Cressi mask and bought the same one later on the web for $37. Do your research !! But dont buy life support gear from the web.

I know hospitals that purchase life support gear via the web. I know fire departments that purchase life support gear via the web. Scuba gear is no different.

In defence of Rich's post -- there are risks with purchasing and using any equipment that you rely upon to protect your life.

The key is that the dealer from which you obtain the equipment is reliable and stands behind the equipment. No matter where you purchase your equipment, a pre-use checkout is important. Just because you bought through a LDS doesn't mean you will get that!

As for mail-order scuba equipment, yes, many leading manufacturers' US distributors do not permit mail-order sales. Yes, the laws are different in Europe, where there are authorized retail sales of the same equipment through mail-order channels. There have been plenty of threads on the board about the pros and cons of working through the reputable ones.

If you want to minimize risk, don't dive. Otherwise you need to weigh the risks and benefits yourself and make an informed decision.

I don't know how the Web got involved, but I'm not purchasing this equipment from the Web. I'm getting from an old college buddy.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom