Good Shore Dives in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blawler1

Reaction score
Lago Vista, Texas (on Lake Travis outside Austin)
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My Fiance and I are planning a trip to Cozumel in November and are staying at the Plaza de las Glorias. All my previous diving in Cozumel has been via boats.

We would like to do some shore dives to check out our equipment and maybe spend a day or so doing shore diving exclusively. I am looking for suggestions for good shore dive sites within walking distance of the hotel or a short cab ride. Also I was wondering if anyone has tried Chukanaab (sp) as a shore dive.

Behind PLG there is about 20 fsw with rock & sand bottom and 3 or 4 piles of rubble that attract critters. I watch an octopus and a moray bump into each other out there one night. It was fast and furious for a few seconds then they went their own ways. It took me almost a week to get really bored with that dive.

Enjoy

I agree with awap about PLG. That is always a fun dive. You might also think about behind LaCeiba. That is where the Plane you might have heard mentioned is. Also, a couple of years back my wife and I did some snorkeling at Playa Corona. There appeared to be some nice reef within an easy distance from shore.

Give the dive in front of the Fiesta Americana a try. It is a short taxi ride from your hotel and the on-site dive shop will rent you tanks and wts. I have seen an abundance of sea life there over the years: you just fin out to the coral heads and look around. There will be all the usual angels, probably an eel or two (baby eels are pretty common). conchs, yellow stingrays, peacock flounders and filefish, etc.

The dive never gets deeper than about 25 feet and, so, you can stay down for a very long time. The entry is easy; there is a small pier right in front of the dive shop on which you can set up your gear and from which you just "slide" into the water. At the end of the dive you can climb a ladder back onto the pier or you can exit on a patch of sand about 20 yards north of the pier. The latter will mean hauling your gear a little farther.

Give it a go!

Scorpionfish

If you can, spend a day at Chankanaab National Park - south end of the island. MANY little operators that rent tanks, etc. right on the beach. Shore diving is very pleasant and if you head several hundred feet south of the main beach area you can explore the "cave" area where the Tarpon hang out. This is a beautiful spot to dive, relax, and appreciate the beauty of the region.

scorpionfish once bubbled...
Give the dive in front of the Fiesta Americana a try. It is a short taxi ride from your hotel and the on-site dive shop will rent you tanks and wts.
Scorpionfish

If you give that one a shot, let me make a few suggestions. Current in front of the FA is north to south (a very large eddy) so walk north then drift south. The area a few 100 meters north of FA is very popular as a guided snorkling site. If you start 1/4 mile north of FA (there are a few small shops and a beach on a small point)you can drift back with scuba or snorkle gear. I suggest you taxi to FA and get Dive House to secure your gear, walk north and snorkle back, and then repeat with scuba once you know what to expect. There are a few 10' coral heads & lots of critters. A couple smaller heads in FA's roped in area.

Coz really is a not shore diving destination, but:

1. Nice reef & sunken barge in front of El Presidente (Coz's most chi-chi hotel). On site shop, Scuba-Du, will rent you stuff.
2. Broken mall airplane in front of La Cieba. On site shop, Aqua Safari, will rent you stuff.
3. Some nice patch reef off Villablanca Hotel. Near to Papa Hog's Scuba Emporium which will rent you stuff.
4. Trash dump off Barracuda Hotel is not scenic but loaded with marine life. Serviced by Dive Paradise, they will rent you stuff.
5. Chankanaab Marine Park has a modest entry fee & some nice patch reef. Bring your own gear.
6. If you're good on air & a strong swimmer, try & make it out the new wreck off Chankanab, in Balones de Chankanab.

I advise against diving around the piers as too much boat traffic.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I do not want to create dissention, but the "pier" that one uses for shore dives at FA is not a boat pier: it is used exclusively for divers entering the water. In fact, the Dive House uses it for its students doing shore dives. The boat pier is off limits to shore divers AND if a diver does not go deeper than 25 feet and does not go south of the designated shore dive zone, he will not run the risk of having a "boat experience"!

Scorpionfish

The link to the article you wrote, and the pictures you took, are really good. The plane was my very first OW dive. It's close to my heart, as Cozumel will always be.
Thanks for sharing.
Bawler1 Congrats on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon. I stayed at PLG in March of this year. Good choice if you want to be able to walk to town, like we wanted to be able to do.
You can do a "Check out dive" at the Garbage dump if you're using Dive Paradise. Also, Aqua Safari is on site at PLG and they have you do a check out dive right behind the resort.
Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom