Dvt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heliflyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well I just returned from Cozumel this past weekend and had an issue with my Delta 4 reg. 1st stage.Without going into all the details of this one particular dive,I found out the hard way that when you get down to around 230psi on a 80 tank don't expect anymore air to be delivered.After the incident my instructer confirmed that there was 230psi left in the tank.Later on in the evening it dawned on him after taking a seminar that it was stated that the DVT mechanism activates at around this psi due to the spring mechanism,this was not told to me or my wife prier to or after the sale to us.
What gives? So far my wife and I have now have had several problems with Oceanic gear from are VEO250 consoles to the regs.I'm quiet dissapointed and now I'm wondering if we should have gone with the SP equipment.I'm not a troll trying to cause a stirr here,but I felt this needed to be said.Any of you reps would like to respond you can PM me if you would like to keep this close to our friends here @ SB.
Thanks
Lanny

P.S. I forgot to mention this equipment is new and had only 2 fw dives on them before our trip to Coz..

Why did you get down to 230 psi anyway? spg's aren't that accurate they are probably about + or - 100 psi when you get down that low. Also your instructor confirmed there was 230psi at the surface which means there was probably nothing at depth. Stop blaming a reg for your mistake.

Lanny,

The psi required to open the DVT valve is less than 15 psi. Was it confirmed that the cylinder valve was fully open? That is the only explanation that I can dream of without having the regulator here to examine - which, in the interest of both of our peace of mind I think that we should do. Please contact Ron Landess at 800-435-3483, ext. 226 to arrange to have your Delta returned to my attention.

Thank you,

Doug

OK, I'm a little dizzy as I post this. I just put my Delta 4/FDX10 w/ DVT on a tank in the garage, I used a proplus 2(digital) and a salvo spg(before anybody asks I took it off my tec rig which I was diving yesterday so it was handy, we don't make brass spg's).

I started with 350 psi, it breathed fine, I noticed around 250 psi it was a little harder(but not hard) and it stayed that way untill just under 100 psi,the spg needle moves down with each breath below 100 as well, I continued to breath the unit, below 50psi the proplus 2 shut off the pressure but it still breathed. The salvo is pegged on zero and it still breathes(but very hard!) (another 4 inhalations)

Not to question the DM, sounds like it bothered him as well but the DVT does not cut off air at any pressure above 15 psi.

mattroz:
Why did you get down to 230 psi anyway? spg's aren't that accurate they are probably about + or - 100 psi when you get down that low. Also your instructor confirmed there was 230psi at the surface which means there was probably nothing at depth. Stop blaming a reg for your mistake.

Here(The Oceanic section) is not the place to beat up on a diver for diving practices.

It is a legit question and we need to hear this concern.

The tank pressure doesn't change with depth BTW, the cylinder effectivly isolates the contents from pressure change, the first stage/second are the mechanical parts that deals with the depth changes while we dive.

I suspect the SPG was wrong or there is another problem, obviously the diver is uncomfortable with the regulator.

***MOD EDIT AND COMMENTS***

Guess you didn't read what I wrote above regarding this not being the place to beat up on a diver for diving practices

Congratulations, this is the very first time I have ever had to delete a post in the Oceanic section, something I don't want to do.

Best,

Chris

***COMMENTS OVER****

Fire away! This would be the same dive where you were "testing" just how well my octo delivered air?:D

I just don't want people afraid to say comments on our products just because others may jump on them for how they were diving, which happened...

Yesterday after this thread was posted other than Doug and I teasing each other there were some interesting things going on in the California factory.

Bob Hollis (owner) was told about this thread and had some people jumping. The regulator engineering team was pulled of working on new projects and directed to select and test representitive samples from stock of the FDX10.

Last night at 6PM I recieved an email, long story short all passed, all started to allow air to flow past at 1.5psi and were completly open at 15psi.

Best,

Chris

So it's not just Doug and I at Oceanic that sometimes have our day turned upside down by Scubaboard!:D

I just want to say thanks to Oceanic for being here on this board to respond to issues like this (and quickly too). As the owner of two FDX10's with Delta 4's, the original post obviously got my attention. Had it not been for the two of you putting the fire under this and posting not just an answer, but the actual process involved in looking into and resolving the issue, I would have had some serious concerns the next time I put the regulator in my mouth (which would be tomorrow for my rescue class).

I think Oceanic deserves a pat on the back in this day and age of withering customer service. You all show a concern for your customers that I wish all corporations that I deal with would offer. It's refreshing, and I just don't see it enough. Thanks guys. I'll consider Oceanic any day.

Back
Top Bottom